Inserter forgets about fuel inventory.

Bugs that are actually features.
alercah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Inserter forgets about fuel inventory.

Post by alercah »

Sometimes, an inserter appears to forget about the fuel inventory and load exclusively into the item inventory of an assembler.

In the attached save, note that the furnace immediately north of the character, making stone brick, is out of fuel. This is due to the bug. The inserter that feeds it will wait until the main inventory has 2 sets of ingredients before feeding the fuel inventory. This seems unique to this particular furnace for some reason; other furnaces do not exhibit the same behaviour and instead load the fuel inventory as soon as it is empty (possibly related to needing to unload the results inventory manually?).

This uses the Industrial Revolution mod as well as several QoL mods. I doubt the QoL mods have any effect but you never know.
Attachments
uv.zip
(4.12 MiB) Downloaded 56 times
factorio-current.log
(41.12 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Inserter forgets about fuel inventory.

Post by DaleStan »

This doesn't look meaningful to me. One inserter simply cannot keep up with the consumption of one furnace. The inserter happens to choose to load stone before coal. If it chose to load coal first instead, as it does with the furnace immediately to the north, you would instead have a fully-fueled furnace that had run out of stone.

Both furnaces are running at 100% of the inserter's maximum speed. Use two inserters to keep the furnace running at full speed.

(The difference in loading order seems to be related to pulling from a straight belt vs pulling from a turning belt.)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however I don't see anything here which is a bug. The inserters will load fuel if it finds fuel and the machine needs it. If the machine always needs non-fuel and the first thing the inserter finds is non-fuel that's what it will move. Once it finishes with that it will switch over to fuel.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

alercah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by alercah »

For the other machines, though, the inserters seem to switch over to fuel as soon as the machines run out. The one in question appears to be an exception.

Return to “Not a bug”