Who handles macOS stuff now?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Who handles macOS stuff now?

Post by Jon8RFC »

Haven't you all been looking for a new macOS developer for 2.5 years, and the last person who was most familiar with macOS left about 1.5 years ago?

Just curious what things are like since I hadn't realized it's been so long that the macOS position has been open. Is one person familiar with that platform begrudgingly doing it, or is it more of a "not it!" situation when that stuff comes up because it's doable, but just more of a nuisance and time suck when it's not your primary OS focus?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Who handles macOS stuff now?

Post by posila »

wheybags and I are taking care of macOS issues. Not being able to do it on my computer (most of the time), and having to investigate issues in environment I am not familiar with is inconvenient, but major pain in the butt is that I have no idea how applications should behave (or how would I want them to behave) on macOS

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

Gotcha, thanks for sharing.

Not knowing something isn't happening when it's supposed to, and not knowing what you don't know? Yeah, that's a tough battle and I don't envy y'all!

TheBloke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheBloke »

As a user who spends 90% of their Factorio time in the macOS version, I can say that you're doing an excellent job. I honestly can tell no difference between the game on macOS vs Windows. And the couple of minor (and niche) issues I've raised have been fixed very promptly.

From my side of the fence, I would never know you didn't have staff experienced in macOS.

PixelClef
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by PixelClef »

As a macOS user myself, I am also very pleased with the performance, playability and just plain fun of the game.

The only issue I have experienced came somewhen around 0.16 that killed the ability to play on the family mini. Up until that release - whichever it was - selecting options such as "low VRAM" or "smaller textures" permitted operation. But once I started experiencing this latest round of failures that seemed to have no resolution, I stopped trying.

It would be great to fire it back up again so I can return to the four player family Factorio at some point.

Return to “General discussion”