left side menu has bad UI when overflown

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

theMightyMan
Inserter
Inserter

left side menu has bad UI when overflown

Post by theMightyMan »

Mods use the left side-menu for adding UI elements to the screen, but when this overflows ugly borders with extra fade/shade, this looks out of place compared to the normal UI and the rest of factorio. the margins also change to everything moves up a bit due to the extra border

When a new UI element is added and it overflows, the only thing that should appear is a scrollbar, and the menu should scroll to the top of the new element so that it is immediately visible to the user.

This will reduce the confusion to why half the UI element they want to look at is cut off, and why everything moved a bunch.

PS:
I dont know what "the message box" is, but dragging dropping files on the text box doesnt work :(
Attachments
factorio_menu.png
factorio_menu.png (325.57 KiB) Viewed 2097 times

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: left side menu has bad UI when overflown

Post by Klonan »

I don't see anything here that is a bug, it looks ugly, thats fine

The modd should layout horizontally if the don't want to hit the height limit

theMightyMan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by theMightyMan »

There are multiple mods here(FNEI and bobs adjustable inserters), I dont see a way for this to be layed out better.

I think factorio must protect the players from getting into a situation like this, the borders have no purpoise here, as they are normally not there either.
The scrollbar looks is fine and necessary, but the borders dont.

It might not be a game-locig bug, but UI can have bugs too, and maybe its a logic bug that creates the borders that are not supposed to be there, I dont know.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

When the engine changes a scroll-panel from "scrollbar free" to "has a scrollbar" it adds an additional debossed border to the pane. I have to admit that at times this looks quite ugly, and also can mess with the layout in base (i remember a bonus-gui bug with this), and mods.

Personally i'd prefer if there was always a border, or never, not switching around. But that's more a question of syle than bugginess most of the time.
deboss.png
deboss.png (32.46 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

theMightyMan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by theMightyMan »

although I agree that the border inside your inventory looks ugly, it doesnt look wrong.
Having a border around a fully transparent panel just looks wrong, which is why I filed a bug, I thought that there was something wrong in factorio, and oversight that caused the borders to be placed in seemingly mid-air.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

theMightyMan wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:28 pm
although I agree that the border inside your inventory looks ugly, it doesnt look wrong.
Having a border around a fully transparent panel just looks wrong, which is why I filed a bug, I thought that there was something wrong in factorio, and oversight that caused the borders to be placed in seemingly mid-air.
I was merely commenting on how the engine seems to handle this. Also your screenshot is so dark (and cluttered with debug overlays) that only now i actually noticed that there's a deboss border around the side-panel. If you want this really fixed i recommend you make a screenshot in daylight in the desert without any buildings, so it's easier to see what you actually mean.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

theMightyMan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by theMightyMan »

this is a new screenshot better showing the border
Attachments
clearer view of the border
clearer view of the border
factorio_border_bug.png (376.6 KiB) Viewed 2057 times

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

FWIW, there are a bunch of new GUI capabilities in the recent 0.17 versions that mean authors are no longer tied to those two specific locations. You might ask some authors, such as FNEI, to move out of that area now that there are much more reasonable ways to present their interface.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

slippycheeze wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:52 pm
FWIW, there are a bunch of new GUI capabilities in the recent 0.17 versions that mean authors are no longer tied to those two specific locations. You might ask some authors, such as FNEI, to move out of that area now that there are much more reasonable ways to present their interface.
I think FNEI has an option where the player specifically selects that they *want* the gui on the left. But i'd be rather inclined to kick whoever did the "inserter configuration gui" to put it in "center" even before screen, because it's clearly not a "side-bar" type menu.

theMightyMan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by theMightyMan »

I think FNEI has an option where the player specifically selects that they *want* the gui on the left. But i'd be rather inclined to kick whoever did the "inserter configuration gui" to put it in "center" even before screen, because it's clearly not a "side-bar" type menu.
Yeah it used to be in the middle, but for some reason an update changed it.
But still, even if all the mods want to use one specific location, and spam unneeded GUI's in there, it still shouldn't display these borders.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

theMightyMan wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:15 pm
But still, even if all the mods want to use one specific location, and spam unneeded GUI's in there, it still shouldn't display these borders.
I don't disagree, but as long as the scrollbar can't be moved to the left side it's gonna look shitty either way.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”