Train singals

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
etevago
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Train singals

Post by etevago »

Hey I'm having this problem with the train not entering the rail to the station and don't know what to do anymore. I printed a stacker for my iron ore station and from that I can't figure out the proper signaling, attaching pic.
Attachments
factorio_2019-07-28_02-08-57.jpg
factorio_2019-07-28_02-08-57.jpg (789.42 KiB) Viewed 2113 times

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Train singals

Post by DaveMcW »

Your stacker is installed backwards. All signals must be on the right side of the track.

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wobbycarly »

I think your train may be blocking itself. Hold a signal in your hand to check the position of the blocks. Could be that you need an additional signal on the output track (just above where the train is parked.) 2-way tracks are trouble, IMO! :D

etevago
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by etevago »

Thanks for the help, I could put to work the trains on the station I showed you, but now I'm having trouble with this stretch so the train can enter the station. It has to go to the upper one but something is making the signaling red, do you know what could it be?
Attachments
factorio_2019-07-28_14-09-36.jpg
factorio_2019-07-28_14-09-36.jpg (793.12 KiB) Viewed 2090 times

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wobbycarly »

I reckon you need a signal of some sort on your left-most rail... That whole blue block looks suss

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

You don't quite seem to understand chain signals. You need a normal signal at the end of the block. The chain signals then follow that signal

Using multiple chain signals in the intersection is fine. But then you when you enter the station you need a normal signal there. Or when exiting any intersection for that matter.

This is a regular T-junction:
T-Junction
EDIT: changed picture to a right-hand drive junction

etevago
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by etevago »

So I should just use some regular signals at the entrance and exit of the stations, right? The t-junction I'm using was printed so I hope is ok, and I built a u-turn for now bc I dont want it to go anywhere else, there should be an easier way to make it but I just don't know much about rails.
Attachments
factorio_2019-07-28_15-13-13.jpg
factorio_2019-07-28_15-13-13.jpg (810.38 KiB) Viewed 2072 times

etevago
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by etevago »

Okay I just figured out that one signal wasn't needed and it runs smoothly, but still it's a little spaghetti hehe

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

No, the junction is not ok. It just uses chain signals everywhere and doesn't terminate its blocks with regular signals

You want a normal signal when entering the station. When exiting the station a chain signal is fine in this context. Then trains wait in the station until they have a path through the junction. It may be desirable for them to drive ahead a bit and wait closer to the intersection though

Also keep in mind that the side you place the signal on determines the direction. The junction lines should be one way. Only the terminus station itself is two-way.

Return to “Gameplay Help”