Vanilla Wifi

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
Zijkhal
Inserter
Inserter

Vanilla Wifi

Post by Zijkhal »

Uses trains parked at receiver stations to send data, it is not a system with trains going in a loop to send data, the trains never move. The concept is based on a reddit post I saw a few days ago. See reddit post for more info and a short demo vid:
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... se_we_can/

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Vanilla Wifi

Post by eradicator »

The idea has been discussed before, for example in "Transmit signal wirelessly over railway".
Interesting that it works with an unconnected station though.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Zijkhal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zijkhal »

oh, I didnt know that :-)

Why wouldnt it work with unconnected stations, though?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

I didn't say that it wouldn't. I said it's interesting that it does. I just never thought about even trying.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Zijkhal wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:18 am
Why wouldnt it work with unconnected stations, though?
after trying to replicate what i see, i would say the approach when station are connected via rail is more straightforward.

It ressemble exactly the switchboard, The train is wether in position or not in this position, 0 or 1 and those are stable for as long as you want. And you can even move them from away from the map.

With unconnected station, you take advantage of the 3 ticks it takes for the train to start yelling "no path", so there are still 2 states 0 and 1 , but the states where the trains is not in the station is limited to last only 3 ticks else you have to manually reset a train ( opening the gui) , or use a clock , it is more complicated to have it work with unconnected station.

Especially when you don't really know what you are doing like me :D

What i had so far is something that look like this an the light shows when the fuel is scanned by a belt
20190628165212_1.jpg
20190628165212_1.jpg (591.74 KiB) Viewed 4973 times
20190628165207_1.jpg
20190628165207_1.jpg (591.75 KiB) Viewed 4973 times
Unfortunately you can't blueprint it, because you need to set up the station open with a combinator , place the loco with a waiting condition, then remove the combinator and change the condition or something like that, so i provide a save
Creative Train WIFI 9.zip
(2.9 MiB) Downloaded 111 times
I am still trying to understand how function the blueprint, following the reddit thread, i found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9rtteU0YoQ which is what i was trying to replicate, if someone can explain me x)

Zijkhal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zijkhal »

mmmPI wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:43 pm
...the states where the trains is not in the station is limited to last only 3 ticks else you have to manually reset a train ( opening the gui) , or use a clock
Ahhh, so thats why I had trouble with manually sending data at the start! I solved that part by a clock pulsing the receiver stations off every now and then.

The trains dont have to move at all for this to work, and the states are kinda similar with disconnected stations as well. I am using the "read stopped train" setting on the receiver train stops, and I am looking for rising edges in the signal. My data transfer is basically wether there is a rising edge or not. The shifter timing (aka clock) is used to detect when a bit is transferred. With that setup, how long a state can be held does not really matter.

I find it curious that in your screenshots the receiver station is turned off, I have mine always turned on (save for when the clock pulses them off, but thats probably redundant), and the trains are set with no conditions, and the two stations (transmitter and receiver) are named exactly the same.

The vid is where the guy who inspired me got the inspiration from.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Zijkhal wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:46 pm
The trains dont have to move at all for this to work, and the states are kinda similar with disconnected stations as well
Zijkhal wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:46 pm
I find it curious that in your screenshots the receiver station is turned off, I have mine always turned on (save for when the clock pulses them off, but thats probably redundant), and the trains are set with no conditions, and the two stations (transmitter and receiver) are named exactly the same.
I wanted to do that but ran into the problem that without conditions the train tries to reach the next station on schedule, which makes it says "no path" and you have to make him repath, i used a clock that was doing on off on off every tick but it wasn't quite like on the video.

I realise now that in my setup the train is at station A the receiver, and the station B the emiters that are both always turned off.

Then 1 tick station B open, trains " leaves " station A , but for only 1 tick out of the 3 that are needed for the pathfinding to answer.

Next 1 tick station A reads that train has "left" the previous tick, so it enable. and the same tick B is closed it was only opened the previous tick.

If this last less than 3 ticks , the train doesn't says " no path" and has no time to move for real.

Now i don't remember why i had to set my train to wait at station A with a circuit condition on its own ID. I had fiddle quite a bit and don't remember everything i did to setup the thing initially, I think it is needed so that the train doesn't end up having nothing on schedule or something like that.

I will try to have it the other way around, with station always open i could only do it with them connected via rail and train immobilized by signal, i have not managed to reproduce what i saw on the video, which to me seems a way to send during 1 2 or 3 tick a signal, without any wire nor rail connecting the 2 emiter and receiver and also not using too many combinators

Zijkhal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zijkhal »

I ran into the exact same issue when I was sending signals by hand, which turned off the transmitter stations for longer periods of time, but I am now turning off the transmitter station for a single tick only, and that seems to help a ton. Since both the transmitter and receiver stations are named the same, trying to reach the next station is not a problem because the next station is the one the train is parked at. When the transmitter is turned off, it just oscillates rapidly between the two, when it is on, it also oscillates, but much slower.

Guu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Guu »

in my scheme, where steel beams are shifted, to switch the station, I used signals from the manipulator, if it holds something - the station is turned on, if it is empty, the station is turned off (or vice versa)

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

How do you make it open during 3 tick for inserter to move 3 steel beam, with 1 item on belt ? this is my puzzle x)

i don't want train to repath every tick, nor do i want station enable/disable every tick, i try a light version.

my next idea : use solar panel to synchronise wagon content in receiver and emiter, so 1 bit means different thing at different time.

Guu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Guu »

mmmPI wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:54 pm
How do you make it open during 3 tick for inserter to move 3 steel beam, with 1 item on belt ? this is my puzzle x)

i don't want train to repath every tick, nor do i want station enable/disable every tick, i try a light version.

my next idea : use solar panel to synchronise wagon content in receiver and emiter, so 1 bit means different thing at different time.
If this question is for me, I will answer
yellow conveyor, pulse read - one beam moves
red conveyor, continuous read - two beams move
yellow conveyor, continuous reading - three beams move

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Guu wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:26 am
If this question is for me, I will answer
yellow conveyor, pulse read - one beam moves
red conveyor, continuous read - two beams move
yellow conveyor, continuous reading - three beams move
Thanks you it was for you :)

It helps me, I didn't notice one conveyor was red.

I have several different versions now.

No version manage to make 1 2 or 3 ticks.

Version with 2 station closed and different name => 1 tick only, breaks with any blue/red/yellow, in continuous read, only pulse. Good thing : no oscillation.
Emiter ON 1 tick , next tick Receiver ON 1 tick.

Versions with oscillations of train or station, i have not tested too much since i try to avoid, but maybe it is the only way to transmit 1, 2 or 3 ticks.

I am still trying, i will find out at some point :)

Return to “Combinator Creations”