Mod Request for Configuring Power Production

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
zmounce
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Mod Request for Configuring Power Production

Post by zmounce »

im looking for some one who could make a mod that allows the user to be able to configure the settings on power production

i want to be able to change how much kw steam engines generate, how much boilers consume water and coal, as well as adjust how efficient boilers are

i dont know if this would be easy or not to make or if something like it already exists i've searched but haven't even found any thing close to what im looking for

if someone could make a mod like this that would be greatt i tend to find vanilla power production way too overpowered and i would like it to be harder to generate electricy. So when i need more its an actual challenge to make more not just plop down some more steam engines and all electricy needs are solved

mat1k
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Mod Request for Configuring Power Production

Post by mat1k »

Altering KW on steam engines, Coal consumption for boilers are both doable. Not sure if altering the water usage of boilers can be done but you can alter the amount of steam used by the steam engine meaning 1 boiler will run less engines.

You could also change the amount of water the offshore pumps put out by increasing or reducing the pumping speed.

zmounce
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zmounce »

Ok is it also possible that the boilers have a warm up period so they have to get to a certain temperature before they produce steam after that they operate like normal with or with out altered coal usage

mat1k
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mat1k »

I can't find anything in the files that would allow that but it may be possible using things beyond my knowledge

zmounce
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zmounce »

oh ok thank for the info its been rlly helpful i was also wondering if i adjusted the kw produced would it apply to other mods that have higher tiers of steam engine so it scales up or down when adjusting kw's produced

mat1k
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mat1k »

Adjusting the main engine alone would not change others however if I knew which mod it would be doable to create a set of code to loop through all generators and multiply the values by X amount. You don't actually change the KW directly but instead, manipulate the effectivity and fluid consumption.

I double the fluid rate for a test and reduce effectivity to 25%. That meant I was getting 450kw(50% of normal) from 60 steam per second (Normally 30)

I am willing to give the mod a crack this week if you want.

zmounce
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zmounce »

could you have the steam engine kw production reduced to 300 kw per engine and have it still consume 30 steam a second

while the boiler still consumes same amount of coal but steam output is increased to to 180 steam a second

also if the mod is made would there be any settings where i can adjust the kw, steam produced/consumed, and coal efficiency to my specific requirements

ps: im using 5dims energy mod that have higher tiers of steam engines and boilers, up to mk3

zmounce
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zmounce »

Tl:Dr would there be any settings to adjust the values of effectivity on boilers and steam engines

zmounce
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zmounce »

if you think you can make the mod that would be great ive been looking for something like for a long time

mat1k
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mat1k »

Testing of various settings has failed to find a way to alter the steam output for the boiler which makes me think the rate is part of the actual core code and not the lua files.

However if your intention was to run 6 engines per boiler, you could do 300kw and 10 steam per second on the engines. That would allow 6 per boiler.

zmounce
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zmounce »

honestly 10 steam per engine would work the best so nothing else is altered

mat1k
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mat1k »

Here is a rough run. It doesn't use in-game settings but does reduce output from steam engines and steam ussage by 1/3.

It affects mod added one and Steam Turbines, as they are classed as Generators too. It is possible to exclude these.

Steam Engines

zmounce
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zmounce »

when i loaded up the mod into my game it gave me this screen
Attachments
20190622202018_1.jpg
20190622202018_1.jpg (62.33 KiB) Viewed 2765 times

mat1k
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mat1k »

Odd, I can't get it to repeat the same error on mine. I tested it orignally with 5dim's core and energy mods installed and it ran fine. Do you have any other mods that alter or add generators like the steam engine?

I'm wondering if you have a mod that adds a generator that doesn't use fluid.

mat1k
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mat1k »

Update the mod. I have pushed a new version with a safety check that should prevent it from trying to alter a generator that doesn't use fluid.

zmounce
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zmounce »

ok and yeah i do have couple of mods that do have generators with out fluids and i updated it and it working fine now thanks

mat1k
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mat1k »

That explains that then. Out of curiosity what mods add them?

zmounce
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zmounce »

UPDATE:

as i was looking around at my other mods to see what was altered i found it reduced these generators

Ks Power mod
-diesel generator reduced fluid usage from 1/s to 0.6666667 and power production from 10mw to 4mw

Hydrogen Power Systems
- fuel cell generator it decreased fluid usage from 5/s to 1.666667/s did not change power production

im fine with it reducing the diesel generator bc that thing was a little to op from the start. but would it be possible to have a option to have it not effect the listed mods above im fine with it doing the reductions but other people might wanna use the mod and might not like that.

zmounce
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zmounce »

and to answer your above question there is a wind turbine, big burner generator from ks power other than those 2 i cant think of any others

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”