Slow performance using multiple monitors

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
zaxbysauce
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Slow performance using multiple monitors

Post by zaxbysauce »

Hey guys,

I work from home and I occasionally like to play games that don't require constant user input on a secondary screen while working on the others. Factorio is great for this, except for one major problem. Whenever I have video on one screen and Factorio on another, the game's performance takes a massive hit. Regardless of whether it is windowed or fullscreen, any video playing anywhere on my PC be it youtube, netflix, or a local file makes factorio slow to a crawl. The first inclination might be my PC is unable to handle both, but this is not the case in any other game. I am running a Sandy Bridge i7 @ 4ghz, 32gb of DDR3, my primary drive is dual 256 gb SSDs in RAID 0, and my primary video card is a 780ti SuperClock with a 750ti dedicated to physx and driving 4 of the 5 accessory screens (the primary screen is driven by the 780ti by itself, the setup is 3 30 inch monitors with a 27 inch 1080p for email and a 4k tv for console gaming and occasional pc use)). This setup works fine, and I am able to play any game out at ultra settings while having a youtube or netflix stream going with no problems. Any ideas on why Factorio alone is experiencing this issue?

zaxbysauce
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Slow performance using multiple monitors

Post by zaxbysauce »

I might also add that as soon as I pause the video Factorio performance goes back to normal.

sunlis
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Slow performance using multiple monitors

Post by sunlis »

I also have a dual-monitor setup, but I don't notice any performance hit at all when watching videos and playing Factorio (which I'm pretty much always doing while I'm playing). What kind of performance hit are you talking about? FPS?

Return to “Technical Help”