Black screen on start up on 17.47

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
yogoo0
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Black screen on start up on 17.47

Post by yogoo0 »

When I try to start factorio this message appears saying an unexpected error occured and to post the log, saves, and mods files. I have no mods for the game and my latest save version was on patch 17.8ish. A long time since the most recent ones.
What happens is I start factorio though steam, it opens up to a black screen and after a few seconds the error pops up. This started immediately after I had updated from 16.51 to 17.47.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(13.35 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Black screen on start up on 17.47

Post by posila »

Hello, try to update your graphics driver.

If that doesn't help, try to disable Steam overlay.

Let me know it helped.

yogoo0
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by yogoo0 »

Hi,
Unfortunately the graphics driver could not be updated and turning the overlay off did not help and I am still getting the same error message.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Try to open config.ini and add at the bottom of the file

Code: Select all

dxgi-presentation-model=copy
If you don't know where to find Factorio's config.ini, press Win + R, type in %APPDATA%\Factorio\config\config.ini and click OK. Notepad should launch with config.ini opened.

yogoo0
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by yogoo0 »

That worked! Thanks. I tried it on the updated patch 17.48. There was an error at first about how something failed and Factorio crashed, different error message than before. But I had tried it again because my machine is old and can be temperamental and it worked. I did find that everything booted up without error on patch 17.45 without the fix when trying the troubleshoot.

aloooooo6
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by aloooooo6 »

Hello, I have the same issue and tried the instructions above. it's still not working, whenever y try to launch the game the screen goes black and asked me to post this file. I have no mods and my last save was this saturday, I was playing on 17.47 tried to go back to stable 16 and redownloaded to 17.x but still not working.

Thanks for the help in advance!
factorio-current.log
(12.86 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

aloooooo6 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:31 pm
Hello, I have the same issue and tried the instructions above. it's still not working, whenever y try to launch the game the screen goes black and asked me to post this file. I have no mods and my last save was this saturday, I was playing on 17.47 tried to go back to stable 16 and redownloaded to 17.x but still not working.

Thanks for the help in advance!

factorio-current.log
If you were able to play 0.17.47 before, something else is going on (as setting dxgi-presentation-model=copy is reverting the setting to pre-0.17.46 value). First, try to reboot your computer.

aloooooo6
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by aloooooo6 »

Ok just rebooted and tried to redo the dxgi-presentation-model=copy it looks like its working now im dumb and copied the whole thing into the notepad with the Code: Select all

Return to “Technical Help”