[YouTube] Xterminator's Total Depletion Series

Post about Let's plays and streams.
Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[YouTube] Xterminator's Total Depletion Series

Post by Xterminator »

Hey Guys!
Finally I got everything worked out in my head, and have started my Total Depletion let's play. :D A video will be released every other, starting today: http://youtu.be/BhdepqfFNT8

So here's the details:

We will have a goal to consume or Deplete all the resources on the revealed map as quickly and efficiently as possible. Going hand-in-hand with this we will be building on a massive scale and expanding like crazy! :D

A few sub-goals as well are:
- Have all research in the game completed. Like ALL of it. Every level of everything.
- There can be no resource patches left on the revealed map (by radar).
- Have X amount of X resources stored, and being produced at some point during the game. The exact amounts will be determined later, mostly because I want your suggestions for these. :)

I know I'm excited for this and will greatly enjoy going through it, and I hope you enjoy too!
Thanks! :)
~Xterminator
Image Image Image

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [YouTube] Xterminator's Total Depletion Series

Post by LordFedora »

What mod list are you using?

Might I suggest that you use rso

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Level 3 modules take a lot of resources (and a lot of througput!), so they may be good candidates.

Also, unless you plan on storing a whole lot of stones/walls you are going to have a hard time using all of the stone. So maybe think of something to do with them in advance, or use a mod which has more recipes with stone/bricks (I think roadworks, landfill and dytech fit this bill, but I haven't tried any of them, so I may be wrong!)

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Ok, I watched the video, and either your voice is at a very low volume, or there is a pretty loud static noise. Either way it was hard for me to hear what you said.

On a more "practical" note: since it is now possible to automate Rocket Defense, how about shooting for x rocket-defense per minute? Ok, let's be real - it should probably be something like 1 per 10 minutes, but still - it could be challenging to make a factory that can churn out rocket defense at a rate of more than 1 per hour :)

Another idea I have, reading CrashNeth's message on youtube, is to "supply an army": The idea is - pretend you need to supply an army of say a hundred soldiers that will go out and clear a larger area for the "colonizers", so you would have to stockpile 100 power-armors, 100 machineguns, 10,000 AP-rounds magazines (I reckon about 100 mags per soldier is enough at first), etc. Of course you can change the numbers to your liking :)

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Well, good luck depleting the research tree fully.
Combat robot count gets to a high level and has some crazy numbers. (2k each science pack is the median I believe).
Single largest resource sink is the last level of it, followed quickly by the dozen or so levels before it, then maybe the cost of deploying L3 modules in everything would have a chance in comparison.

You definitely need to avoid using productivity modules in anything, unless you're looking to make this a bigger time sink than it already will be.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

LordFedora wrote:What mod list are you using?

Might I suggest that you use rso
Currently only using Uranium Power, Fat Controller, and Automatic Rail Layer.
I tested out rso, and didn't really like how it spread out the resources for a series like this. :/ I know you can change the settings for it, but I'm not really sure how, and didn't feel like messing with it. haha Maybe I will do a series with it in the future, not sure.
sillyfly wrote:Level 3 modules take a lot of resources (and a lot of througput!), so they may be good candidates.

Also, unless you plan on storing a whole lot of stones/walls you are going to have a hard time using all of the stone. So maybe think of something to do with them in advance, or use a mod which has more recipes with stone/bricks (I think roadworks, landfill and dytech fit this bill, but I haven't tried any of them, so I may be wrong!)
Yeah good point about the level 3 modules, I could certainly have some good goals set for those. Any suggestions on an actual number to try for? And about the stone... I will most likely need a ton of walls, so I might not actually have that much of a problem using it all up. Especially because I might take the suggestion of someone who commented on the video to "surround the revealed map in walls and laser turrets". That would definitely use a ton of stone :D
sillyfly wrote:Ok, I watched the video, and either your voice is at a very low volume, or there is a pretty loud static noise. Either way it was hard for me to hear what you said.

On a more "practical" note: since it is now possible to automate Rocket Defense, how about shooting for x rocket-defense per minute? Ok, let's be real - it should probably be something like 1 per 10 minutes, but still - it could be challenging to make a factory that can churn out rocket defense at a rate of more than 1 per hour :)

Another idea I have, reading CrashNeth's message on youtube, is to "supply an army": The idea is - pretend you need to supply an army of say a hundred soldiers that will go out and clear a larger area for the "colonizers", so you would have to stockpile 100 power-armors, 100 machineguns, 10,000 AP-rounds magazines (I reckon about 100 mags per soldier is enough at first), etc. Of course you can change the numbers to your liking :)
Hmm that's strange about the sound. :/ I listened to it and I could hear it fine. There did seem to be some static in the background, which is weird, but I could still hear the commentary okay. I will play around with some settings before next video though, and see if I can fix at least the static noise. :)
Oh man, I really really like that idea of "supplying an army". I think I will most certainly add that to the list of our goals to achieve for the series! :D
n9103 wrote:Well, good luck depleting the research tree fully.
Combat robot count gets to a high level and has some crazy numbers. (2k each science pack is the median I believe).
Single largest resource sink is the last level of it, followed quickly by the dozen or so levels before it, then maybe the cost of deploying L3 modules in everything would have a chance in comparison.

You definitely need to avoid using productivity modules in anything, unless you're looking to make this a bigger time sink than it already will be.
Yeah I figured the higher levels of combat robot count and such would be crazy. But that's part of the challenge. ;) Oh your right for sure about putting productivity modules in anything. Definitely don't want to be doing that. If anything, I would put speed modules in. :D Cause screw power usage!
Image Image Image

Marbles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marbles »

Completing the research tree takes less work than you might think. Sure it'll take some 20 hours or something, but after setting up a decent science factory you never have to look at it and can set up other factories for more modules, resources, or just improving your science even more.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Yeah agreed. Once I get a ton of labs going, and enough resources to feed everything, the research should just work in the background while we expand and kill all the biters. :D
Image Image Image

The Lone Wolfling
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by The Lone Wolfling »

sillyfly wrote:On a more "practical" note: since it is now possible to automate Rocket Defense, how about shooting for x rocket-defense per minute? Ok, let's be real - it should probably be something like 1 per 10 minutes, but still - it could be challenging to make a factory that can churn out rocket defense at a rate of more than 1 per hour :)
Here are the raw amounts required for 1 rocket defense / minute:
  • 103567 iron ore / minute
  • 188160 copper ore / minute
  • 127989 petroleum gas / minute (Works out to ~142210 crude / minute, or ~2370 crude / sec!)
  • 35468 coal / minute
  • 36775 water / minute
  • 100 alien artifact / minute
(Taken from here)

...Good luck with that. Among other absurdities, you'd need 11 parallel straight express belts just for advanced circuits, and nearly 6000 assembly machine 3s producing copper cable.

I doubt you could place miners fast enough.

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

all numbers are in crafting speed (so you'd need to account for it)

Code: Select all

rocket-defense         1
rocket                 14
advanced-circuit       2347
processing-unit        713
speed-module-3         51
productivity-module-3  51
electronic-circuit     845
explosives             17
iron-plate             5938
plastic-bar            294
copper-cable           1560
sulfuric-acid          5
speed-module-2         100
get-alien-artifacts    2
productivity-module-2  125
sulfur                 14
mine-coal              142
mine-water             48
mine-iron              808
light-oil-cracking     2302
copper-plate           10918
speed-module           200
productivity-module    251
heavy-oil-cracking     2302
mine-copper            1200
basic-oil-processing   3069

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Hey, someone forgot to include a get-alien-artifacts recipe in my Factorio :P
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

uhhh, yes, must report it directly to the top

ehrm, it's in units of harvested artifacts/second apparently, gives you a bit to many (120 when you need 100) but you can use the excess somewhere else...

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Yeah doing any amount of Rocket Defenses per minute would just ridiculous, and probably not too possible. :/
But on a lighter note, episode 2 is live! http://youtu.be/ndFh2PLBYJc :D I go over a few things for a couple minutes at the beginning, and explain that I did take some of the suggestions and added even more goals for us to achieve. Needless to say, I'm very excited, and I hope you guys are too! :D

Hope you enjoy, and any feedback or more suggestions you have would be great!
Image Image Image

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Needs less touchy-feely. :P
Other than the, erm, monologues, nice video. :)

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

damnit xterminator, i need to sleep, i have classes in 8 hours and i haven't even got off my computer yet (T_T)

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

n9103 wrote:Needs less touchy-feely. :P
Other than the, erm, monologues, nice video. :)
Yeah good point. :p After recording EP2, and EP3 I realized I actually didn't get nearly as much done as I had intended. :/ I might redo EP3, not sure. If not, I plan to do a fair bit off screen so we can get a lot done in EP4! :D
LordFedora wrote:damnit xterminator, i need to sleep, i have classes in 8 hours and i haven't even got off my computer yet (T_T)
Ahaha sorry man. :p Don't worry, I'm sure watching the video is worth falling asleep during your classes, and possibly failing. :D
Image Image Image

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

Well, we're on trimesters so it's week 2/11 of the second quarter, so no danger of me failing right now, maybe if you keep this up

only problem is i don't have much time in the middle of the week for entertainment (T_T)

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Ah I see, interesting schedule. Hehe well fortunately, or unfortunately(?) I plan to keep this up for sure. I'm having a ton of fun with it, so definitely gonna continue with videos every other day. Perhaps even more, depending how views go, and how into I get. :D

But yeah I can understand that. Middle of the week is usually the most busy for me too, so I spend 90% of my recording time on the weekends, and that's when I play most the games too. :/
Image Image Image

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Awesome! I'm so glad you like it! :D I am realty enjoying myself already. It's starting out a bit slow, but once we get all the stuff set up, it will be craziness! Hehe
Image Image Image

Return to “Videos”