BP Item Created When Making Blueprints

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Rebmes
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

BP Item Created When Making Blueprints

Post by Rebmes »

As a returning player who didn't use much blueprints in the past (system was kinda hard to use) but am now making an effort to learn the new streamlined system, I must report that the way "create blueprint" makes an item in your inventory and needs to be added manually to your blueprint collection, is feeling very counter-intuitive.

My blueprints I've created in the past are available to me on a specific blueprint screen - so I assume this is where it all happens. When I create a new blueprint, I assume that it will be with my other blueprints, and I don't fully understand why it exists as an item in my inventory. Specifically, I see a green checkmark, don't necessarily understand "create blueprint" and am assuming it's "save blueprint".

(here's the suggestion)
It would feel much more streamlined, and a complete system of its own, if creating a blueprint automatically saved it to my blueprints collection (the current "My Blueprints" screen), and did not automatically create an item in my inventory. I am already able to place said blueprint on my bar without creating an item, so really I have no use for the item at all, in most situations. The player could be allowed to create the item if needed, either by spawning it in on the blueprints screen with a button, or by having to craft blueprints out of wood or paper.

Perhaps an item in the player's inventory is never actually needed; if trading a blueprint to another player, it could be placed on the ground (default keybind Z I think) and picked up by the other player, without ever going into any inventory but rather "placed" from the blueprints screen, and saved (after preview/confirmation popup for the accepting player) into the other player's blueprints automatically.

Same thing for the blueprint book, I absolutely don't understand why it is an item, rather than a sorting concept for the blueprint screen.
(end suggestion, continue rambling)

To be honest I'm not even aware of any reason to have a blueprint item at all, but am assuming it's for trading BP's to other players. The whole system is still not super intuitive for me; it's not something I've ever used in other games (though I know they are used in some games' creative mode, a mode which I never play) and perhaps having had more experience with similar systems would have made this one easier to learn - but as it stands, I believe it needs just a little more streamlining to get it to the state of "here's a blueprints screen, this is where it all comes from and goes to".

Thanks for this fantastic game and all the hard work that is going into it, and thanks for being more morally motivated makers of games as well ;)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: BP Item Created When Making Blueprints

Post by Koub »

The blueprint system GUI is supposed to be reworked somewhere in the near future of 0.17. I'm expecting a LOT from this rework, because I also have hard time using the current mechanisms sometimes most of the time. Save from copy/cut & paste, which I use ALL THE TIME, I hardly blueprint.
Gui
New final versions of several important GUI screens (Quick bar, Train Schedule, Load/Save Game, Settings, Map Generator, Research, Mods) Other screens than the mentioned ones (more than 100) have inconsistencies and will be updated in future minor updates.
Source : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65070
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Rebmes
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rebmes »

I got my wires crossed on this one, thanks! Thought BP re-work was done (oops).

Also being driven nuts by how you can't actually edit BP's in the BP screen etc... Looking forward to rework ^^

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

The purpose of the blueprint item is to make Recursive Blueprints mod possible. ;)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”