[0.17.17] Launching factorio through steam causes steam popup to be shifted

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
lovely_santa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.17.17] Launching factorio through steam causes steam popup to be shifted

Post by lovely_santa »

Hi,

When I'm playing on my 4K monitor, when launching through steam, I get my steam popups in the middle of the screen and not on the bottom right, as shown in the picture below. I asked bilka if this was steam or factorio itself, and he said it could be both. When reverting back to 0.16.51, it pops up neatly in the corner, so I would say it's not steam's fault?
unknown[1].png
unknown[1].png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 3012 times
Kind regards
lovely_santa
You can find all my mods on the mod portal. Also helping on Arch666Angel's mods.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.17] Launching factorio through steam causes steam popup to be shifted

Post by TruePikachu »

I'm more likely to blame Steam for this versus Factorio, especially if the game was launched directly to full screen.

lovely_santa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by lovely_santa »

TruePikachu wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:36 pm
I'm more likely to blame Steam for this versus Factorio, especially if the game was launched directly to full screen.
I was thinking this as well, but since it doesn't do this in 0.16.51 but it does it in 0.17, when launching it within 10 minutes of each other, it's the same steam version, just other factorio version. Since i'm not sure, Bilka wasn't sure... We decided to just report it, devs can choose to just put it in 0/1 magic, won't fix, not a bug or if they want even in Resolved for next update.
You can find all my mods on the mod portal. Also helping on Arch666Angel's mods.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

Steam can exhibit different behaviours depending on what version of DX is being used, as well as depending on stuff like graphics driver timing.

lovely_santa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by lovely_santa »

lovely_santa wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:18 pm
We decided to just report it, devs can choose to just put it in 0/1 magic, won't fix, not a bug or if they want even in Resolved for next update.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

On one hand, I think it is Steam's problem, on the other hand Steam is so widely used that bugs in the client get fixed pretty quickly, so it might be sympthom of us doing something wrong, so it is worth to investigate it. On the third hand, I can't reproduce it. Do you use any other game overlays besides Steam?

lovely_santa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by lovely_santa »

No I only use steam overlay, and this only happens for factorio, not any other game... Do with it what you want, it gets a bit annoying when people start playing games and this pops up in the middle of the game...

coderpatsy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by coderpatsy »

I have seen this before, but I don't remember with what game. I don't think it was Factorio.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

I'm fairly certain this is caused by Steam not knowing how large the surface is, despite all calls to DirectX actually going through Steam -- either the surface is getting resized, or Steam assumed the size it gets created at. Since I'm fairly certain we aren't setting a custom position for Steam messages using the Steamworks API, everything about the positioning of the message is Steam's responsibility.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

I've seen Steam do stuff like this occasionally when launching games in full-screen, in a different resolution than the desktop resolution.
Also in situations where the game starts in a smaller window then shifts to full-screen. If the game is too slow in shifting to full-screen steam will show the overlay in the corner of the initial window size and it'll look off when the game goes to full-screen.

In either case, it's usually a race condition between Steam and the game. I've never considered it enough of a bug to bother with since it's gone almost instantly and doesn't come back till game restart.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

lovely_santa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by lovely_santa »

MasterBuilder wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:29 am
In either case, it's usually a race condition between Steam and the game. I've never considered it enough of a bug to bother with since it's gone almost instantly and doesn't come back till game restart.
It doesn't happen every time, but when I create mods I restart the game quite often, so I get it 'regularly' (read as: daily while starting factorio ALOT). You mensioned it doesn't come back till game restart, I got notifications when friends start playing a game, sending private messages and invites. All these pop-ups appear at the same position (aka where it launched initialy, in the botom, or in the middle, depending how the game starts)

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

If the subsequent popups appear in the same position, this is a more important bug -- but still a Steam bug, and probably not caused by Factorio doing something incorrectly.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Since there's no way that any of us know how to reproduce this and because I think this is a Steam specific problem that Steam would have to address I'm going to move this to minor issues.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Minor issues”