Rearranging/renumbering toolbelt rows

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

cybersteel8
Inserter
Inserter

Rearranging/renumbering toolbelt rows

Post by cybersteel8 »

TL;DR
The player cannot rearrange/renumber each row of the toolbelt to change the order.
What?
I think it would be very useful to be able to customize the toolbelt a bit by being able to renumber or rearrange the rows that we have set up filters on. For example, if I have a selection of filters on Row 4 and another on Row 5, and I remove the filters on Row 4 I would like to renumber 5 to 4 rather than have an empty row. The same applies if I want to create a new Row in between 3 and 4, and push all the other rows up by 1 number. I would have to move every filter individually, which is very tedious. Basically, the number order matters.

I would like to propose that the square that has the number on it is draggable, and that drags the entire row as a whole. Dragging this row up or down would move the others around, like you're "inserting" the row in a different position. After the player releases the mouse button, the row is inserted and all the numbers are updated. The row will be attached to the cursor while dragging it up/down.
Another approach is to have up/down arrows on each row (again, to the left where the row number is) and the user can click to move the row one position at a time. For example, a click of the "up" button will move the row up one, and the row that was in its position is moved down (to replace the now empty spot). This isn't as convenient, but still functional and probably easier to implement.
A third approach is to be able to modify the number directly, by clicking a small edit icon (a pen) in the corner of the number box, and changing it using the keyboard. Confirming the change will snap the row to its appropriate position, and any number that was just replaced is swapped with the previous one (so if I renumber Row 3 to 6, then 6 becomes 3 in its stead).
Why?
The ability to have multiple toolbelts is fantastic, and so is being able to swap between them by using the numbers on the keyboard. I also very much appreciate the freedom to select the order in which I want the filters to appear on the toolbelt (buttons 1 to 0). However, the amount of personalisation I can apply to the toolbelt is limited to the order I have already created it in. The toolbelt is not modify-friendly, only create-friendly. For every toolbelt, there are 10 slots. I believe most users categorize each row with 10 things in common - a railway toolbelt, an inserter toolbelt, etc. Being able to move the 10 filters in bulk is much more convenient than needing to remove 10 filters from the row, add the 10 new filters to that row, then change the previous row to what I just removed. This is very important if I remove a row of filters that I will no longer use, leaving an empty row. I would like to fill this with one of the other toolbelt rows, but the process to do so is very tedious. Moving a toolbelt row as a whole will make that process extremely fast.

ikarikeiji
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Rearranging/renumbering toolbelt rows

Post by ikarikeiji »

cybersteel8 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:54 am
I would like to propose that the square that has the number on it is draggable, and that drags the entire row as a whole. Dragging this row up or down would move the others around, like you're "inserting" the row in a different position. After the player releases the mouse button, the row is inserted and all the numbers are updated. The row will be attached to the cursor while dragging it up/down.
+1 to this option!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”