[0.17.5] Reboot of computer

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
ASsimilate
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.5] Reboot of computer

Post by ASsimilate »

I Experience a reboot of my PC when playing. Has happened across all versions of 0.17, across multiple saves, all without mods. Always within 10-30 minutes of play. Happens at random, not when performing any specific task.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(4.45 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.5] Reboot of computer

Post by posila »

Try to enable texture compression.

Anyway ... computer rebooting is not normal, you should check your HW.

ASsimilate
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ASsimilate »

Thanks for the quick reply. I've tried both texture compression methods, to no avail. I have also tried 0.16, and every other program I have, even stress tests, but nothing else is causing a crash. If a Windows Event Log file would prove helpful, please do request it.

twiztedsizter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by twiztedsizter »

This is happening to me as well, twice today. Both 0.17.7 and after updating to 0.17.8. Has never happened in Factorio before I updated to 0.17 and has not happened when not running Factorio. There's no bluescreen, just reboot to POST. I thought that it might have been a momentary power outage the first time that it happened but none of the other computers in the house or any other devices were restarted.
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(4.34 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
factorio-current.log
(4.15 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
DxDiag.txt
(40.14 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

weaknespase
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by weaknespase »

Any minidumps created after sudden reboots by the system? You can check system log for more information if Windows discovered critical issue and halted. Alternatively, if it haven't caught anything, it will complain about power failure.

ASsimilate
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ASsimilate »

Mine only gives the Kernel-Power notice (Event ID 41), there are no other errors of note preceding that.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

ASsimilate wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:27 pm
Mine only gives the Kernel-Power notice (Event ID 41), there are no other errors of note preceding that.
Grab some motherboard monitor and check the voltages. Sudden reset due to power loss might be a result of voltage drop.

weaknespase
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by weaknespase »

Windows logs power failure event after booting up if it finds unclean shutdown. Doesn't mean there is something wrong with the power supply unit, means it couldn't for any reason write clean shutdown code on primary storage. Can be a disk/controller failure, and it 100% happens if you pull the plug or press reset button while OS is running (and reset button have nothing to do with power).

Does log contains records related to disk failures? Check RAM and hard drive connection, 10-30 minutes seems like it can be related to autosaving - i.e. disk activity.

Run burn-in tests for CPU and primary GPU (prime95 and furmark) for 15 minutes to check if your primary hardware works as it should.
Last edited by weaknespase on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twiztedsizter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by twiztedsizter »

No minidump for me either (and I checked, they're enabled). Also no hardware issues that I've been able to observe. This has only happened when playing Factorio, not when doing other high CPU, high GPU, or high memory operations. This isn't a general system problem as far as I can tell.

weaknespase
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by weaknespase »

And no user-mode process can force modern OS to reboot without having chance to write something in the log. And it never hurts to run hardware test to be sure. For example, i used faulty RAM for 3 months having zero issues but occasional reboots once in a 1-2 weeks of uptime and a force-closing Firefox at random times. It had sticky bits in one bank at 7G threshold, but i, as usual, blamed buggy software.

Random reboot without user input is observable issue.

Well, all being possible, maybe, posila hit a motherlode and found a rare OS bug which is triggered by new graphics code :)

twiztedsizter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by twiztedsizter »

weaknespase wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:02 pm
And no user-mode process can force modern OS to reboot without having chance to write something in the log. And it never hurts to run hardware test to be sure. For example, i used faulty RAM for 3 months having zero issues but occasional reboots once in a 1-2 weeks of uptime and a force-closing Firefox at random times. It had sticky bits in one bank at 7G threshold, but i, as usual, blamed buggy software.
I understand what you're saying, and I'll be running memtest86 overnight to test my system memory and will also be running burn-in tests tomorrow just to be sure, but the fact that at least two people are reporting reboots only while Factorio 0.17.x is running and at no other time is worth considering.

weaknespase
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by weaknespase »

Sorry, I didn't want to sound offensive, it's just that there is literally zero clues as to where to start unwinding this issue.

Ok, hardware aside, did you had any reboots using 17.0 through 17.2? What if you try to run the game using OpenGL backend?

Try to add

Code: Select all

--force-opengl
parameter to the command line and see if the issue goes away.

twiztedsizter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by twiztedsizter »

No worries, I didn't take offense :) I realize that there's not much to go on so far. I expect that if this is actually an issue caused by the game that more people will start to report it. I'll downgrade to earlier 17.x release and see if I can find out where it starts, and I'll separately give OpenGL a try as well. Those are good suggestions, thank you. I'll post with updates tomorrow. I also posted on the Factorio subreddit to ask if others have had this same problem and included a link to this thread.

Cheers.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

twiztedsizter wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:20 pm
but the fact that at least two people are reporting reboots only while Factorio 0.17.x is running and at no other time is worth considering.
Pure speculation, but if it isn't a hardware issue, I'm wondering if it might be a buggy chipset/device driver. Both people experiencing the issue are using Nvidia GPUs and similar, but not identical, driver versions, and similar Intel CPUs (and since the CPUs are the same generation, the motherboards might be using the same chipset and drivers as well). Not sure about modern versions of windows, but on older versions chipset and graphics drivers were quite capable of taking Windows down unexpectedly, if they hit a critical bug. (And it is certainly possible that Factorio is stressing the hardware and the driver in a different way to most other programs. eg see viewtopic.php?t=59771).

twiztedsizter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by twiztedsizter »

Ran furmark for an hour with no problems, no crashes. memtest86 found no memory errors. Started up Factorio 0.17.8 with forced OpenGL and it rebooted to POST within 10 minutes, no minidump.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Since we are shooting in the dark here... it would leave sound to test? Try running factorio with no sound and check.

ASsimilate
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ASsimilate »

I've been running some tests on my hardware. Memtest86 for RAM, Prime95 for CPU, FurMark for GPU, all while monitoring voltages on all components. No errors or voltage imperfections at all. I haven't done Unigine, but doubt it would yield anything different. I've also tried running Factorio with Texture Compressions, and then forced OpenGL, then without sound, and I still get the crashes.

weaknespase
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by weaknespase »

I'm not sure if Factorio even using those (instructions), but you can also check if your CPU report supporting TSX extension. It's buggy in Haswell and most definitely should be already disabled by microcode updates though.

And, if you haven't tried yet - maybe running game using integrated GPU can shed some light on the issue?

doblej92
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by doblej92 »

Same here, found any solution? I am going to clean install my OS as a last measure. Yet, I am not pretty sure it's not a hardware problem.

It was not rebooting at any point when I was playing the hunter, AC, Dota2, or other games. It always reboot when I am playing Factorio.

If you get to a solution or the reason behind all of this, please share your experience!

MrRelik
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MrRelik »

Also seeing this issue, on 17.14

I was hosting a multiplayer map when it was happening, my computer would reboot (No blue screen, just turns off and then on) within about 30 minutes when hosting. After switching to having a friend host instead, I'm not restarting at all.

Return to “Technical Help”