[0.17.2] Cannot save map: "Couldn't remove (path to file): Incorrect Function" (MR)

Bugs that are actually features.
Jubelio
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.2] Cannot save map: "Couldn't remove (path to file): Incorrect Function" (MR)

Post by Jubelio »

In-Game Video

If all autosave/backup versions of the save files are deleted through windows the game will autosave properly until attempting to overwrite a save with a .bak version, in which case it will fail. In the event of the game failing, it writes a new .tmp save.
The game will fail to overwrite the save files no matter if the folder is set to Read Only or not.
Creating a new save with a different name will create a new save, but after continuing on the autosaves will eventually start to fail once they've cycled around enough times.
Attachments
Ribbon World 256.zip
(4.54 MiB) Downloaded 117 times
factorio-current.log
(104.73 KiB) Downloaded 96 times

Navaar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.17.2] Cannot Save Map: Couldn't remove (path to file): Incorrect Function

Post by Navaar »

Hello, I just wanted to add that I am also experiencing this issue. I've attached my log and save, .bak, and .tmp as well in case it could help.
Attachments
17 world.tmp.zip
(6.15 MiB) Downloaded 89 times
17 world.bak.zip
(4.86 MiB) Downloaded 94 times
17 world.zip
(5.23 MiB) Downloaded 97 times
factorio-current.log
(49.5 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.2] Cannot Save Map: Couldn't remove (path to file): Incorrect Function

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. "Incorrect function" means the operating system denied/errored the request to delete the temporary file used to save the game. If you're getting that error everything I can find about it says your hard drive is at fault: either the filesystem is corrupt or the disk itself is having issues.

There's nothing that we've changed around this in 0.17 and nothing we can do to prevent the error.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

DrMike
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DrMike »

Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:09 am
Thanks for the report. "Incorrect function" means the operating system denied/errored the request to delete the temporary file used to save the game. If you're getting that error everything I can find about it says your hard drive is at fault: either the filesystem is corrupt or the disk itself is having issues.

There's nothing that we've changed around this in 0.17 and nothing we can do to prevent the error.
I have also been experiencing this incorrect function issue with 0.17 (steam version, Windows 10 x64) which is particularly annoying with the autosaves. I reverted to 0.16 which does not experience this problem, and I continue to see the issue again after updating back to 0.17.
I have tried some of the common solutions to known issues with other games which results in Windows being Windows blocking access to programs accessing the %appdata% folders etc, no luck yet. This error message is annoying, although the game can still be saved and loaded (the save with .tmp ending in the name will be the most recent version and is the one that should be opened) so it isn't a serious problem.

To replicate the issue on my computer, when saving to a particular name the first time, the .zip file is created. When saving to the same name a second time, the existing save is renamed with .bak.zip and then the new file is saved .zip resulting in 2 files, the new one and the old with. When attempting to save to the same name the third time the Incorrect Function error message is displayed in game, and a 3 save files are observed, a .tmp.zip, .bak.zip and .zip, with the .tmp.zip file being the most recent.
Subsequent attempts at saving to the same filename yet again, the Incorrect Function error is shown in game, and it overwrites the .tmp.zip file with the new save and the .bak.zip and .zip files are left unchanged.

I will see if I can replicate this issue on any of my other computers.
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
Error not observed in 0.16
(5.58 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
factorio-current.log
Incorrect Function error observed in 0.17
(68.9 KiB) Downloaded 110 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

The common denominator for all reports that I've seen is that they happen on Windows 10 - Version 1607 (Anniversary Update).
When there is time to dick around old Windows 10 builds, I'll see if I can figure out why does it happen.

DrMike
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DrMike »

posila wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:08 am
The common denominator for all reports that I've seen is that they happen on Windows 10 - Version 1607 (Anniversary Update).
When there is time to dick around old Windows 10 builds, I'll see if I can figure out why does it happen.
I performed a windows update last night, and saves are working properly now after moving away from 1607. I was unable to replicate the issue on any of my other computers which ran more recent windows builds.

Jubelio
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Jubelio »

DrMike wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:30 am
posila wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:08 am
I performed a windows update last night, and saves are working properly now after moving away from 1607. I was unable to replicate the issue on any of my other computers which ran more recent windows builds.
I can also confirm this after performing a windows update. Everything works as it should now. Thanks for pointing out the common demoninator posila.

NickKsh
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NickKsh »

Alright. I did an expetiment.
Completely uninstall and install Steam version of Factorio 0.17.3 and deleted all AppData files.
Still have this issue.

After this I downgraded to a stable version 0.16.51
Everything works perfectly fine. Saves and ini files deleted/rewrites without any issue.
I think you've accidentally broken sometihng in 0.17, and this is a bug. :P
Windows 10, 1607

Log file from 0.16.51 in attachments.

I hope you'll find what the problem is :D

PS. This is a dublicate post from my ticket (viewtopic.php?f=47&t=65119)
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(5.42 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

We aren't looking into this at all. Update windows and it works - that's all the work we're going to put into it.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

NickKsh
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NickKsh »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:02 pm
We aren't looking into this at all. Update windows and it works - that's all the work we're going to put into it.
Okay, sorry :cry:

Return to “Not a bug”