[0.16.51] Freeze loading save transferred from other computer

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
RexBuck
Inserter
Inserter

[0.16.51] Freeze loading save transferred from other computer

Post by RexBuck »

Trying to transfer a game from one computer to another. Copy the zip file from sending computer and paste to receiving computer.

When I open the file on the receiving computer, the game opens and just as it finishes loading, it freezes the program and can only be resolved by forcing a close of Factorio through Task Manager.

Have tried playing for a bit on the sending computer and resaving and transfer the new file to the receiving computer - same results.

Receiving computer opens saved games created on it just fine.

Both computers have the same version of Factorio installed, all mods on both computers are up to date and all mods on the sending computer are installed on the receiving computer.

Log file attached
A link to a file with the zipped Mods folder from the receiving computer and the zipped game that I'm trying to transfer
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/he8rriuljore ... 0vECa?dl=0
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(11.78 KiB) Downloaded 116 times

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.16.51] Freeze on start after transfering save from other computer

Post by eradicator »

RexBuck wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:45 pm
When I open the file on the receiving computer, the game opens and just as it finishes loading, it freezes the program and can only be resolved by forcing a close of Factorio through Task Manager.
When the loading bar is at 100% (edit: when loading a save game, not when starting the game) is when the game does migrations between different (mod-)versions. You say you have all mods exactly the same so nothing should happen. But it'd still try waiting at least 5 minutes in the "frozen" state to see if it really doesn't resolve itself.
Last edited by eradicator on Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Does it freeze when you start the game or when you load the save? If the later, then post a log that is actually from a session with the issue.

RexBuck
Inserter
Inserter

Post by RexBuck »

eradicator wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:52 pm
RexBuck wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:45 pm
When the loading bar is at 100% is when the game does migrations between different (mod-)versions. You say you have all mods exactly the same so nothing should happen. But it'd still try waiting at least 5 minutes in the "frozen" state to see if it really doesn't resolve itself.
I've left it for at least 30 minutes in the "frozen" state and still no love.

RexBuck
Inserter
Inserter

Post by RexBuck »

Loewchen wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:59 pm
Does it freeze when you start the game or when you load the save? If the later, then post a log that is actually from a session with the issue.
Loading the save that I transferred in

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

RexBuck wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:04 pm
Loewchen wrote:
then post a log that is actually from a session with the issue.

RexBuck
Inserter
Inserter

Post by RexBuck »

Loewchen wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:49 pm
RexBuck wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:04 pm
Loewchen wrote:
then post a log that is actually from a session with the issue.
Thought I did. So, go to create another. Try to load the game - leave it for over 2 hours in frozen state. When I return, Factorio has closed itself but the log isn't changed. Load game again, after a few minutes force it to close and it freezes my computer completely. Load game again, after a few minutes force a close which closes the program without incident. New log attached.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(13.85 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.16.51] Freeze loading save transferred from other computer

Post by Zavian »

I can confirm the problem. Migrations seem to be a problem with the mods and save posted in the original post. Factorio seems to consume a growing amount of memory, when I killed it it was using over 5Gb. Given the symptoms you describe, I'm guessing windows killed it when it ran out of ram.

However contrary to your assertion in the op the set of enabled mods are not the same between the save, and the .zipped mods folder. eg sync mods shows.
syncmods.png
syncmods.png (596.61 KiB) Viewed 3931 times
If I proceed to sync the mods with the save, then the game loads correctly using about 3 GB of ram. (Syncing mods with the save also gave me 2 different copies of Single-Splitter, one of them named Single-SplitterT). The problematic mod seems to be PickerExtended. If I go back to the zipped mod directory, and disable PickerExtended, then I can load the save.

RexBuck
Inserter
Inserter

Post by RexBuck »

Zavian wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:31 am
I can confirm the problem. Migrations seem to be a problem with the mods and save posted in the original post. Factorio seems to consume a growing amount of memory, when I killed it it was using over 5Gb. Given the symptoms you describe, I'm guessing windows killed it when it ran out of ram.

However contrary to your assertion in the op the set of enabled mods are not the same between the save, and the .zipped mods folder. eg sync mods shows.
syncmods.png
If I proceed to sync the mods with the save, then the game loads correctly using about 3 GB of ram. (Syncing mods with the save also gave me 2 different copies of Single-Splitter, one of them named Single-SplitterT). The problematic mod seems to be PickerExtended. If I go back to the zipped mod directory, and disable PickerExtended, then I can load the save.
Aha! That was the problem - the game loads no problem now.

My confusion was that I assumed that it didn't matter if there were Mods installed on the receiving computer that weren't on the sending computer. That's why I said all of the mods on the sending computer were on the receiving computer - I knew there were more installed on the receiving computer but didn't think it was significant.

Anyhow, problem solved. Thank you.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

You should edit the topic title (first post) to include [Solved]. And probably inform the author of PickerExtended that his migration/config_changed is broken (if it is indeed the mod that caused this). He's probably doing some overly expensive surface scans or something.

Grats on getting it to work.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

RexBuck
Inserter
Inserter

Post by RexBuck »

eradicator wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:59 pm
You should edit the topic title (first post) to include [Solved]. And probably inform the author of PickerExtended that his migration/config_changed is broken (if it is indeed the mod that caused this). He's probably doing some overly expensive surface scans or something.

Grats on getting it to work.
How do I edit it - no edit icon on my original post.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

RexBuck wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:28 pm
It's fine, keep it as it is.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Loewchen wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:25 pm
RexBuck wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:28 pm
It's fine, keep it as it is.
Is topic editing broken too in the new forum?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

eradicator wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:05 pm
Is topic editing broken too in the new forum?
No, the top comment is locked.

Return to “Technical Help”