Stuck with a circuit Network, please help

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
burninghey
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Stuck with a circuit Network, please help

Post by burninghey »

So, I got this 6-reactor-blueprint from a multiplayer game. No idea who's the original builder.
It uses advanced circuitry for controlling the reactors and lights. Somehow, it's broken, and only 3/6 reactors are running.
I'm trying to wrap my head around these things, but it's not my world.

Please take a look and tell me what to do to make it work!

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Stuck with a circuit Network, please help

Post by zOldBulldog »

That is a beautiful design. If you manage to fix it and it ends up working well... please share the final blueprint.

Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dune »

Some questions.

1) Did you build it?
2) Did you try to insert fuel into any of the reactors?

Whatever the answers, I suggest. First, copy it and then make a deconstructor for all the combinators. Wipe them out and re-paste the blueprint once the reactors have stopped their work and have been emptied of all fuel. Quite likely the combinators that control it have gotten screwed up.

If that fails, rebuild the plant using the same blueprint. It may be the same issue, but larger.

burninghey
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by burninghey »

It's not my own work, as stated above.
Was running for quite some time, and 10+ uranium fuel cells in each requester chest.
Only 3 reactors get loaded.

3 are working fine, beautiful light show, goes on when low electricity and off when not needed anymore.
But inserters for other 3 reactors stay deactivated, no matter how much they are needed.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Try manually inserting a single fuel cell in each reactor that isn't working. I'm not familiar with that particular design, but one way of controlling reactors is to trigger the fuel cell inserters when unloading used fuel cells.

burninghey
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by burninghey »

Zavian wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:25 am
Try manually inserting a single fuel cell in each reactor that isn't working. I'm not familiar with that particular design, but one way of controlling reactors is to trigger the fuel cell inserters when unloading used fuel cells.
It works after manually inserting once. I still don't get why 3/6 start after building as they should and the other 3 don't.
Do you have a link to a tutorial, how to setup this myself?

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

burninghey wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:27 am
Zavian wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:25 am
It works after manually inserting once. I still don't get why 3/6 start after building as they should and the other 3 don't.
Do you have a link to a tutorial, how to setup this myself?
I am nowhere near the point of designing reactors, but I researched a lot of the existing blueprints. It seems that there are many designs, some more automated than others. The vast majority require manually inserting a fuel cell to get them started. A few are self-starting when supplied with fuel cells (like the 2 and 4 reactor compact power plants mentioned in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=208&t=48532&p=374287#p374287).

KoS has a nice youtube video that introduces you to all of the nuclear stuff (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA21zrqMMq0). If I remember right it doesn't go into the intricacies of reactor circuitry design but it is a great first tutorial on the topic.

As far as circuitry for reactors, I never came across a good tutorial (or even a bad one!). Sounds like a fresh topic for the expert tutorial makers, let's hope one of them tackles it.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

So it looks like the setup runs the turbines only to recharge the accumulator bank and is doing some calculation or another to decide how many reactors to run when it's time to run those. So you need to be able to supply your entire power demand off accumulators alone, this is an 800MW reactor so you need to be able to source your entire power draw and sink (800-draw)MW on accumulators alone, just to be sure you can _always_ sink the full output, 800/0.3 is 2666 accumulators, have you got a bank anything like that big in your power net?

burninghey
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by burninghey »

Well, there are 17k solar and 15k accumulators in my network. I tried to cut off 11k solar panels and 9.3k accumulators, just to make sure there's not enough energy without the nuclear power plant running. Did'nt help.

With inserting a fuel cell in the other 3 reactors once, they start to recognize they need to produce power and start, and stop when there is enough. And start again if they need to. As they should.

The other 3 are doing fine and there was no need to touch them to make them work, ever. That's what I don't understand, and my knowledge about circuit networks is just not good enough to find the error on my own.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

My guess (without building the blueprint and studying it) is that for some reason the blueprint circuits to autostart those 3 reactors are either missing or somehow broken or messed up. (It is also possible that if there isn't a fuel cell in the appropriate requester chest when the circuitry attempts to load a fuel cell, that the circuitry doesn't detect and handle that case. This could apply during normal operation, or only to the start-up circuits).

Personally, if I were to make such a design, then I wouldn't bother with adding circuits to autostart the reactors, and would just manually add 1 fuel cell to each reactor. For me the extra circuit complexity isn't worth the convenience of having the reactor autostart. (Indeed to do it reliably would take circuitry to detect that the reactor complex is completely built and every requester chest has a fuel cell before initiating startup).

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

I have been reading the discussion and a thought came to mind. If I understood correctly you saw this design in a multiplayer game and you blueprint ed it, then you used the blueprint in your personal game.

Knowing how easy it is to make a fatal mistake when building a blueprint by hand, it might be worth retesting using the original blueprint but letting bots do the building.

Let me know if this is the original blueprint and you built it by hand, and if that is the case I would be happy to test it with my bots.

burninghey
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by burninghey »

I've blueprinted it and bots did it for me in my current game. Did not even try to build this without bots :)

But maybe the original build made a mistake? Please take a look, maybe you find the mistake.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

burninghey wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:38 pm
I've blueprinted it and bots did it for me in my current game. Did not even try to build this without bots :)

But maybe the original build made a mistake? Please take a look, maybe you find the mistake.
I was hoping you had built it by hand and that me building it with bots would fix it. Unfortunately although I have some circuit skills they are nowhere near the level to troubleshoot something like this

Return to “Gameplay Help”