Non-blocking saving on player connection

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.
Atraps003
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Non-blocking saving on player connection

Post by Atraps003 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Non-blocking saving currently applies to manual saves and auto-saves. I speculate that it would be reasonably easy to implement for player connections as well?

Atraps003
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Non-blocking saving on player connection

Post by Atraps003 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:38 am

A picture to help explain.

https://imgur.com/a/YjHVomD

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:34 am

Either I don't understand, or you're wrong : I am blocked upon save when I play solo (both for manual and auto-saves)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:58 am

Koub wrote:Either I don't understand, or you're wrong : I am blocked upon save when I play solo (both for manual and auto-saves)
Non-blocking saving is an option on Linux and macOS.

It has not been implemented for saving on player connection, because then connecting players would have to start receiving input actions before they start downloading the map, which adds big complexity to player connection, and mostly because it seems to us people would rather have auto-pause when player is connection, so the connection players don't have to catch up the server after downloading the map.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:01 am

@Koub there is an option for non blocking saves. (I forget whether it is linux only on also available on OSX, it's not available on windows).

Having said that, personally I don't think non-blocking autosaves for players joining will be that useful. Whilst it would prevent a pause when someone joins, it will mean they will end up taking longer to catch up. For large maps (ie where the pause to save for joining is most significant), the groups I've played with often end up pausing the game to help players catch up anyway.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:04 am

@posila. Then please implement (either as an option, or just as always on behaviour) that a server that is paused because no-one is connected, does not unpause until someone finishes downloading the map. For me, that map download is often 5-10 minutes followed by 30 mins of catching up, if I'm the first player to join.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:35 am

Zavian wrote:@Koub there is an option for non blocking saves. (I forget whether it is linux only on also available on OSX, it's not available on windows).
Linux only, because of OS constraints.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Atraps003
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Atraps003 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:21 pm

@posila. Then please implement (either as an option, or just as always on behaviour) that a server that is paused because no-one is connected, does not unpause until someone finishes downloading the map. For me, that map download is often 5-10 minutes followed by 30 mins of catching up, if I'm the first player to join.
We already have that feature? Or does the server unpause before the first and only player is finished downloading the map even if this is set to true? If that's the case I would consider it a bug. A player can't be present if they don't have the map.

Code: Select all

"_comment_auto_pause": "Whether should the server be paused when no players are present.",
  "auto_pause": true,
Having said that, personally I don't think non-blocking autosaves for players joining will be that useful. Whilst it would prevent a pause when someone joins, it will mean they will end up taking longer to catch up. For large maps (ie where the pause to save for joining is most significant), the groups I've played with often end up pausing the game to help players catch up anyway.
I disagree. A group of people waiting for one person is not an efficient use of time on public servers. It also introduces a dos attack vector.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”