Can't start First Steps mission 2

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
TopCat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Can't start First Steps mission 2

Post by TopCat »

I bought the game through Steam a couple of days ago. I played through First Steps mission 1 OK but when I go to launch mission 2 I get the following popup error:

"copy_file "D:/Steam Installs/steamapps/common/Factorio/data/base/campaigns/demo/level-02/inserter-explanation.png" to "C:/Users/xxxxxx/AppData/Roaming/Factorio/temp/currently-playing/inserter-explanation.png" failed: operation not permitted"

D:\Steam Installs is where all my Steam games are installed, and C:\Users\xxxxxx is my user profile folder (I've xxx'd out my user ID).

I've checked permissions on those files and folders and everything looks OK. I tried copying the file manually (which copied OK but didn't stop the error message). I've rebooted my PC and I've verified the game files integrity through Steam. Nothing seems to stop that error.

Any ideas?

*edit: I can start all of the other campaign missions that are available to me at the moment. It's just First Steps, mission 2 that causes a problem (and obviously prevents me from getting to any later missions in First Steps).

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Can't start First Steps mission 2

Post by mexmer »

did you try to delete C:/Users/xxxxxx/AppData/Roaming/Factorio/temp folder content?
turn of game, delete it. game will recreate folder on start. but it's possible but something is locking the folder (might be steamcloud synchronization, might be antivirus, or might be some other sync service - for example onedrive)

TopCat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TopCat »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've deleted the folder and let the game recreate it - no change.

I've excluded both the source and target folders from my antivirus - no change.

I do use OneDrive, but C:\users\... is not one of the folders that it syncs so that shouldn't be causing it.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

can you also check, if source file actually exists?
i know that error message suggest different (eg. problems while writing), but might be, your installation is corrupted.
if source file is missing, run verify on factorio from steam client, or if your connection is fast enough, just uninstall factorio and install it again.

TopCat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TopCat »

Yes, the source file is there. I can preview the png and it displays OK so it doesn't seem to be corrupted.

As I said in my 1st post, I've copied that file over manually before launching factorio and I still get the same error when I start First Steps, mission 2

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

if you run factorio as administrator, do you get same error?

if it runs withou problem as administrator reset permissions on C:/Users/xxxxxx/AppData/Roaming/Factorio/ folder recursively

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebn ... -explorer/

also make sure, that your user account is owner of folder (you can also reset ownership recusively, in same window as permissions)

TopCat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TopCat »

Running as administrator has the same result.

Folder and file permissions all look fine. My account is the owner and has full control permissions on source and target folders and files.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Factorio. No change.

I've tried everything I can think of (I'm an ex software developer so have plenty of experience in tracking down troublesome issues). I found the factorio-current.log file. The error I see in the game is logged there but there's no extra info, and nothing else in the log file looks like an error. There's nothing in the Windows event logs. Is there anywhere else I should be looking for errors to be logged? Or any config setting I could apply to give more detailed error diagnostics?

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

then i'm out of ideas, if it was on my computer i will have more things to do (like use sysmon to check what it does, drop it to debugger, when it fails, and such), but that's kind of stuff people normally don't do :D

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

You could try deleting C:/Users/xxxxxx/AppData/Roaming/Factorio for a clean start. Though you will have to replay First Steps 1.

TopCat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TopCat »

Nice idea. I can see where you're coming from there.

Made no difference though. (And I didn't have to replay mission 1, either)

Think I'm going to have to put this one on the back burner for now. I'll see if it still happens after the next game update.

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

TopCat wrote:And I didn't have to replay mission 1, either
Huh? Is steam cloud sync restoring your corrupt data? You could try turning that off.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

You could also try the .zip downloads. They save all data with the folder you create when you unzip them.

Return to “Technical Help”