Enough roboports in megabase?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
vinnief
Inserter
Inserter

Enough roboports in megabase?

Post by vinnief »

I'm bringing a 4k spm megabase online for the first time and it looks like too many bots are queuing at the station roboports during deliveries. Based on this screenshot, do I need to use two rows of roboports on either side of the station (4 rows of roboports total) instead of having just one row of roboports on either side of the station (two rows of roboports total)?

Blureprinting, deconstructing, and shifting things down to insert additional roboports for seven stations is painful so I'd like a second opinion before I embark on the work. I have 37,400 logistics bots in the base network. Or is there another solution? Can I simply add more bots? Or will that make it worse?

If the image is too small please right click and open it in a new tab to see it at 100%
rows.png
rows.png (7.29 MiB) Viewed 4038 times

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Enough roboports in megabase?

Post by bobucles »

If bots are lining up in rings around your roboports then you'll never have enough bots to make it happy. Build more roboports.

If bot lines get too long then you'll lose tons of bot energy on the charging queue and wasted energy hurts your bot network. A lean system has lots of roboports and uses just enough bots to be happy.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Normally you will need one row of roboports per two rows of beaconized production for bots to catch up.

vinnief
Inserter
Inserter

Post by vinnief »

bobucles wrote:If bots are lining up in rings around your roboports
That happens to my construction or logistics bots when I give them a massive one-time task in an area with minimal roboport connectivity. But in this case it isn't quite getting to the point of a dense ring, it is more like a moderately increased level of density beyond what is usual, but falling short of discernable rings.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Rings mean the queues are way too big. Moderate size queues could use more roboports but are workable.

If the bots keep lining up until your storage empties out it means you simply don't have enough robos at all.

vinnief
Inserter
Inserter

Post by vinnief »

PacifyerGrey wrote:Normally you will need one row of roboports per two rows of beaconized production for bots to catch up.
These additional rows can be inserted at the stations, or are you suggesting that I must literally have a row of roboports between every two consecutive rows of beaconed assemblers? in the latter case that will increase energy requirements because there would be more rows of beacons which only cover one row of assemblers.

My current base has an iron unloading station in between every 4 to 5 rows of assemblers, with each station having 1 row of roboports on either side (2 rows total). The set of asssembler rows not adjancent to a station also has a single "end-cap" row of roboports. So there are a total of 7 rows of roboports for 14 assembler rows. I think this meets your ratio of 1 roboport row for every 2 assembler rows (smelters are the same as assemblers for the purpose of this discussion)? Or do I also need extra rows for the station?

vinnief
Inserter
Inserter

Post by vinnief »

Maybe I just need a couple of extra rows for some or all of the iron stations, perhaps one extra row for copper and leave the rest alone, since iron and copper volumes are much higher than the other resources.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

vinnief wrote:
PacifyerGrey wrote:Normally you will need one row of roboports per two rows of beaconized production for bots to catch up.
These additional rows can be inserted at the stations, or are you suggesting that I must literally have a row of roboports between every two consecutive rows of beaconed assemblers? in the latter case that will increase energy requirements because there would be more rows of beacons which only cover one row of assemblers.

My current base has an iron unloading station in between every 4 to 5 rows of assemblers, with each station having 1 row of roboports on either side (2 rows total). The set of asssembler rows not adjancent to a station also has a single "end-cap" row of roboports. So there are a total of 7 rows of roboports for 14 assembler rows. I think this meets your ratio of 1 roboport row for every 2 assembler rows (smelters are the same as assemblers for the purpose of this discussion)? Or do I also need extra rows for the station?

vinnief
Inserter
Inserter

Post by vinnief »

This is the situation now. I have not added the roboports yet, but I'm about to (could take hours though):
bots.png
bots.png (2.01 MiB) Viewed 3958 times

vinnief
Inserter
Inserter

Post by vinnief »

Took seven hours to rearrange the factory and the rails. There were a lot of intermediate stored products which had to be moved (I used logistics bots and chests for that). Now the factory is running but it is using up that stored inventory which of course is in the storage chests away from the active factory area, so this is going to be happening for a while:
bots.png
bots.png (1.84 MiB) Viewed 3922 times

Return to “Gameplay Help”