Solars Idea

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

FlamingNx9
Inserter
Inserter

Solars Idea

Post by FlamingNx9 »

I been thinking for a while about the solars and came up with a few ideas
1.Why not make solars boil water?That way you can save coal while making electricity
2.Make that the solars can boil water for at lease half or a quarter of a night
3.Make solar lighting poles that can last a night
4.Solar watches that last a while
5.Turrets that reflect light unto enemy's like a magnifying glass
6.Nothing to put here,just making it longer

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Solars Idea

Post by FreeER »

1) why? Most solar panels are not used to boil water to then turn a turbine to create electricity when it go straight from solar panel to electricity without extra energy loss
2) see above ^
3) Little point once we have a capacitor unless you are just stringing lamps out behind you and are too lazy also use electric poles...If anything I'd rather see a spotlight :)
4) Solar watches? huh? What like a clock that tells you what time it is? If so I think a simple sundial would be better.
5) Would have to be a pretty refined magnifier and then they'd have to have the creepers catching on fire or what would be the point :)
6) really? I mean really really? :lol:

1&2 are of course based on the belief that we will be getting capacitors/batteries in the somewhat near future :) Solar power is already prioritized over steam engines so if you had enough solar panels to power your factory during the day your steam engines (and thus your coal) would not be used until the sunlight faded and the solar panels could no longer supply all of your energy needs.
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

FlamingNx9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FlamingNx9 »

FreeER wrote:1) why? Most solar panels are not used to boil water to then turn a turbine to create electricity when it go straight from solar panel to electricity without extra energy loss
2) see above ^
3) Little point once we have a capacitor unless you are just stringing lamps out behind you and are too lazy also use electric poles...If anything I'd rather see a spotlight :)
4) Solar watches? huh? What like a clock that tells you what time it is? If so I think a simple sundial would be better.
5) Would have to be a pretty refined magnifier and then they'd have to have the creepers catching on fire or what would be the point :)
6) really? I mean really really? :lol:

1&2 are of course based on the belief that we will be getting capacitors/batteries in the somewhat near future :) Solar power is already prioritized over steam engines so if you had enough solar panels to power your factory during the day your steam engines (and thus your coal) would not be used until the sunlight faded and the solar panels could no longer supply all of your energy needs.
well.....
1.It can save coal.Just imagine not needing to use coal in the day.And it can be a type of solar that you can make(though might need a smart inserter to sense daylight)
2.^^^^^
3.DEM LIGHT FLICKERING.GGGAAAAHHHH
4.Sundail?That mean it only work at daytime, not at night
5.You got the point
6.Muhahahahaha

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

1-2. Solars already save coal. If you got enough solars to power all machines, steam engines will stop.
So turning electricity to heat and back to electricity would be disadvantageous.

3. YOU NEDD MOAR POWAH!!!
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Actually I think the light flickerings that he is refering to maybe when the lights go off the edge of his screen...This is a known issue and it is simply because of how the game renders light. If this is what you are refering to then (i think) the devs are planning to fix it when they get the time :)

If on the other hand, you see a little icon that looks like a lightning bolt or if you hover your mouse over an electric pole and see that the green bars are not full, then yes
rk84 wrote:3. YOU NEDD MOAR POWAH!!!
btw, i had over 200 solar panels in my last factory (had to stop playing when the file size reached 70mb cause fps dropped to 20 :() and I only used my steam engines when the sun started going down :), too bad we don't have capacitors yet, maybe I should look into if it is somehow possible to mod one for the time being.
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- Wiki Modding Guide

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Many solar power plants use the light to heat a fluid like oil or water and use this to produce energy. (Wikipedia, Concentrated solar power)
But Factorio is science fiction, so maybe real solar power is a better idea, don't know.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

FlamingNx9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FlamingNx9 »

rk84 wrote:1-2. Solars already save coal. If you got enough solars to power all machines, steam engines will stop.
So turning electricity to heat and back to electricity would be disadvantageous.

3. YOU NEDD MOAR POWAH!!!
I have over 25 steam engine going and its still not enough(not sure if set up properly though)
Nova wrote:Many solar power plants use the light to heat a fluid like oil or water and use this to produce energy. (Wikipedia, Concentrated solar power)
But Factorio is science fiction, so maybe real solar power is a better idea, don't know.

that's where my idea comes from

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

are all 25 actually producing their max (as in the water coming into them is 100 from start to finish)? I'll admit that I've had more but that was with a rather massive and inefficient base.
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- Wiki Modding Guide

FlamingNx9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FlamingNx9 »

FreeER wrote:are all 25 actually producing their max (as in the water coming into them is 100 from start to finish)? I'll admit that I've had more but that was with a rather massive and inefficient base.
Well,after 4 massive attack,and 30 laser turret later,i can proudly say that all 30 of my steam engine is now running at max

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

lol, now you just need to focus on creating enough solar panels that they don't run at all :)
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- Wiki Modding Guide

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

10 solar panels = 1 steam engine

solar panels occupy 75% of the space that steam engines do,

solar panels are more expensive with their copper cost

solar panels give free energy....

conclusion: solar panels are awesome!!!!

Arakasi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Arakasi »

Dakkanor wrote:10 solar panels = 1 steam engine

solar panels occupy 75% of the space that steam engines do,

solar panels are more expensive with their copper cost

solar panels give free energy....

conclusion: solar panels are awesome!!!!
but still without accumulators it is recommended to use it at least in combination with steam engines.

and will also cause problems with space consumption. it is really enormous.

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

10 solar panels = 1 steam engine (max power output)
20 solar panels = 1 steam engine (energy output in full day-night cycle)

Note: - I assume day and night last equal time, which might not be the case.
- Part of the power made with steam engines usually goes for mining/handling coal for power plant.

single solar panel (3x3) occupy 60% of the space that single steam engine (5x3) do.
10 solar panels occupy 600% of the space that single steam engine do.
20 solar panels occupy 1200% of the space that single steam engine do.

Note: above calculations does not include pump, boilers, inserters, transport belts and miner.

Yea It is expensive, but maintenance-free free energy is nice though.
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”