Adjacent Power

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Interceptor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Adjacent Power

Post by Interceptor »

Hi,

I think you all have that problem once in your game, where you always have to make a large amount of electric poles to power stuff and you have electric poles everywhere. It requires a considerable amount of ressources and it can be encumbering which makes it harder to have a compact system.

My suggestion is actually quite simple and makes sense if you consider how Power is distributed in real life. We should be able to research something like "Adjacent Power" which allows bigger entities like assemblers, electric furnaces ect. to supply power to adjacent buildings (1 tile).

In my opinion this is a necessary feature, since it's quite annoying when you design a compact system and realise that you have to change everything again because the pole is in the way. Plus it saves alot of ressource and time.

dragontamer5788
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Adjacent Power

Post by dragontamer5788 »

Have you tried to use substations? Or are those still too small for your preferences?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Interceptor wrote:if you consider how Power is distributed in real life.
The last time i checked my fridge didn't power the microwave on top of it.
Power poles are just a part of the puzzle. There used to be mods that automatically place poles below ever assembler/furnace though.

Interceptor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Interceptor »

dragontamer5788 wrote:Have you tried to use substations? Or are those still too small for your preferences?
Its supply area isn't too small, that's not the issue. The issue is that whenever you want to build a big system (which in that case you would use multiple substations), you build assemblers close to each other but you still have to build power relays. If you want to build a compact system, you need to leave some space for either the substations or electric poles. It's a small annoying thing when you want to place conveyors and you have to change the placement because you need a power source.
eradicator wrote:
Power poles are just a part of the puzzle. There used to be mods that automatically place poles below ever assembler/furnace though.
Check outside the street. I'm pretty sure there aren't hundreds of electric poles near you! :D No all of your electric wires are subterrainial, which is the point that I'm defending. Thus a research which enables you to power your assemblers, electric furnace, ect. without poles would save time, ressources and space. I just don't see why this can't be added. It's a small and handy feature and it's not sorcery :mrgreen:

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

A street's a bit different to a coal power plant or a car assembling factory, isn't it? Pretty sure those have overhead cables on pylons.

Basically you're asking for the game to be made easier for you ... There are several mods which increase the coverage of poles.

Interceptor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Interceptor »

Deadlock989 wrote:A street's a bit different to a coal power plant or a car assembling factory, isn't it? Pretty sure those have overhead cables on pylons.

Basically you're asking for the game to be made easier for you ... There are several mods which increase the coverage of poles.
I think you misread my suggestion. So let me be a bit more clear but first PLEASE read this (It's from ssilk global moderator). viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30240
So yes thank you I know that there are plenty of mods out there. But let me quote En_Dotter which you can find on that link:

" In most of the games that involve crafting and management i hear a lot of responses that sound like "there is a mod" or "it is easy to mod it by changing this and that" and other similar statements. While i really appreciate any kind of help, most of the time i suggest things that i think would benefit the original (vanilla) game."

I'm not asking to make the game easier for me. Heavens no, I like the changes that the devs made for making research more harder! But if you would have read my post you would know, that this is an unlockable research. So tell me, are researches for you features, that makes the game too easy? Are you manually inserting your items in assemblers? Are you manualy mining stuff? Are you not using Robots? No? But all those things are making life easier for you, so why do you use it? Why even research it? Why even play the game?

As you can see, this leads to nowhere and thus your argument, if there ever was one, is not valid.

Yes streets are different from assemblers. Who said that you wouldn't need to connect your power generating system to your assembler with poles on one end? Have you ever visited an industrial complex? Perhaps you might have noticed that there are not 1000 of electric pole which are connected for each individual Factory. Factories are connected to each other FYI.

I thank you for your feedback!
Last edited by Interceptor on Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fiery_salmon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fiery_salmon »

Interceptor wrote:makes sense if you consider how Power is distributed in real life
Realism is clearly not relevant at all.

It may or may not be a good idea - but
Interceptor wrote:In my opinion this is a necessary feature
is clearly untrue, thousands played without it - and most like Factorio as it is a nice puzzle, with electricity supply as part of it.

Interceptor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Interceptor »

fiery_salmon wrote:
Interceptor wrote:makes sense if you consider how Power is distributed in real life
Realism is clearly not relevant at all.

It may or may not be a good idea - but
Interceptor wrote:In my opinion this is a necessary feature
is clearly untrue, thousands played without it - and most like Factorio as it is a nice puzzle, with electricity supply as part of it.
I must agree with the second part! However I need to correct you on the first part. I never said Factorio should be more realistic. I mean I can carry multiple cars and trains in my inventory :mrgreen: . It's not about realism, but the techniques used in real life to save space and in Factorio if you can save space, you can build a more compact system and save ressources for more important stuff. To do that, you would need to use your creativity and ingeniuty to build one massive block of assemblers/furnace/oil industry complex that works. It allows a new method of building complex systems

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Interceptor wrote:I think you misread my suggestion. So let me be a bit more clear but first PLEASE read this (It's from ssilk global moderator). viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30240
That link is basically an argument which says "use and/or make mods because it'll make changes to the real game more likely". There are mods which do at least half if not all of what you ask for. Use them. Make them better.

You seem almost unaware that Factorio is a game. You can appeal to cherry-picked real life scenarios that fit your argument all you like, but it doesn't matter, because this is not real life and it's never going to be, and thank god because real life is an appalling drag. You think your "change" (still not sure what it is, exactly, something to do with not having lay down power poles because it's too much hassle and you think they should commune with each other magically like some kind of electric yoga class) will benefit everyone. How munificent of you. No, it will benefit the minority of players with exactly your tastes, and piss off the rest. It's a tightrope act.

And yes, some researches do/did make the game too easy. The balance often gets changed, later. Have you not seen the bot mega-threads? People whine then, as well, about how game feature X is gated behind too much research now, etc. But I don't recall there being any existing research which takes away a major game feature and lets everything happen for you without lifting a finger like in Harry Potter. Maybe you'd like research which makes the need for inserters to go away because it's too difficult to place so many inserters. Maybe we should have research which makes belts go away. You think I'm joking: people actually asked for that, "quantum belts" or some nonsense.
Last edited by Deadlock989 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interceptor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Interceptor »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Interceptor wrote:I think you misread my suggestion. So let me be a bit more clear but first PLEASE read this (It's from ssilk global moderator). viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30240
That link is basically an argument which says "use and/or make mods because it'll make changes to the real game more likely". There are mods which do at least half if not all of what you ask for. Use them. Make them better.

You seem almost unaware that Factorio is a game. You can appeal to cherry-picked real life scenarios that fit your argument all you like, but it doesn't matter, because this is not real life and it's never going to be, and thank god because real life is an appalling drag. You think your "change" (still not sure what it is, exactly, something to do with not having lay down power poles because it's too much hassle and you think they should commune with each other magically like some kind of electric yoga class) will benefit everyone. How munificent of you. No, it will benefit the minority of players with exactly your tastes, and piss off the rest. It's a tightrope act.

And yes, some researches do/did make the game too easy. The balance often gets changed, later. Have you not seen the bot mega-threads? People whine then, as well, about how game feature X is gated behind too much research now, etc. But I don't recall there being any existing research which takes away a major game feature and lets everything happen for you without lifting a finger like in Harry Potter. Maybe you'd like research which makes the need for inserters to go away because it's too difficult to place so many inserters. Maybe we should have research which makes belts go away. You think I'm joking: people actually asked for that, "quantum belts" or some nonsense.
DO you even read whole things?

"The reasons why it is very useful, that mods are mentioned in suggestions are:
If there is a mod, there is a much bigger chance that the idea is added into vanilla."

Reading whole things helps sometimes. I suggest you read my answer again. As of yet you lack any valid counter argument.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Nah, I'm good, thanks.

Interceptor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Interceptor »

Deadlock989 wrote:Nah, I'm good, thanks.
I'm glad that you see my point now ;)

Hedning1390
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hedning1390 »

Like I said in the other topic, I like power poles. They add to the complexity of the game, both visually and strategically. We need more game elements to play with, not fewer.

Interceptor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Interceptor »

Hedning1390 wrote:Like I said in the other topic, I like power poles. They add to the complexity of the game, both visually and strategically. We need more game elements to play with, not fewer.
And as I said earlier in that topic on steam: It does add to complexity if you think about it and it does add more gameplay element. I don't know why you think I want to remove the electric poles... You'll be able to make one giant complex block. It doesn't reduce the difficulty of creating systems, just the amount of poles / stations but you will still need them. I think I'm gonna draw a picture, so people understand what I wrote.

fiery_salmon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fiery_salmon »

Interceptor wrote: it's quite annoying when you design a compact system and realise that you have to change everything again because the pole is in the way. Plus it saves alot of ressource and time.
Some consider it an interesting part of puzzle and removing it would be removal of part of challenge.

Also, it would make power more complex (currently it ismple "what is in range of supply power poles is powered") without a good reason for that.

Hedning1390
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hedning1390 »

Interceptor wrote:And as I said earlier in that topic on steam: It does add to complexity if you think about it and it does add more gameplay element. I don't know why you think I want to remove the electric poles... You'll be able to make one giant complex block. It doesn't reduce the difficulty of creating systems, just the amount of poles / stations but you will still need them. I think I'm gonna draw a picture, so people understand what I wrote.
I never thought you wanted to remove power poles entirely, but the suggestion here is a research that would remove the need for power poles in many situations.

You never claimed removing the need for poles would increase complexity before. How exactly does removing the poles increase complexity? You can make giant blocks today. What exactly are you adding? If you removed the poles entirely, only allowing the "Big electric pole" then maybe you'll get some complexity back, because you now have to figure out how to transmit the power, and without electric poles this may become difficult, however as you have made very clear that was not your suggestion. Your issue was not being able to fit in the poles in some of your blueprints and the suggestion is to remove this problem with a research. To me that's an issue to overcome, not an issue to mod away.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Interceptor wrote:
eradicator wrote:
Check outside the street. I'm pretty sure there aren't hundreds of electric poles near you! :D No all of your electric wires are subterrainial, which is the point that I'm defending. Thus a research which enables you to power your assemblers, electric furnace, ect. without poles would save time, ressources and space. I just don't see why this can't be added. It's a small and handy feature and it's not sorcery :mrgreen:
There's actually an electric pole across the street from my house.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Interceptor wrote:
eradicator wrote:
There's actually an electric pole across the street from my house.
There's electrical poles all over the place in China and Japan and probably in a lot of other countries.

fiery_salmon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fiery_salmon »

eradicator wrote: There's electrical poles all over the place in China and Japan and probably in a lot of other countries.
Your image block hotlinking (you can see it as it was already in your cache, but others do not see it)

Copy pasting URL (

Code: Select all

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/b-tepco-a-20170404-870x582.jpg
) shows image.

Interceptor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Interceptor »

Yes of course there are electric poles. But have you seen electric poles in New York? They would take too much space thus they placed the wires underground. Perhaps I should expand or change this idea into underground electric wires? Like for example: 10 copper cables + 2 pipes = 2 underground cables.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”