Would like a "Request from Storage" chest

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Ackbarspiff
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Would like a "Request from Storage" chest

Post by Ackbarspiff »

First of all i absolutely love this game and have played it extensively. You have a real gem here.

The short explanation:
Basically i would love a requester chest that only request items from storage chests and not from provider chests. Having such a chest will solve a whole lot of problems with excess "junk" items that you cant be bothered putting back into the system manually.

More in depth explanation of why i would find such a chest really useful.
I tend to put stuff in the storage chests to get room in my inventory from time to time. Over time i end up with alot of stuff in those storage chests(especially yellow transport belts, that just sit there), and i have noticed there is no easy way to put those items back into the system automatically. You can use Requester chests, but they dont seem to prioritize Storage chests over Provider chests, and i find that to be a problem. Reason is that you end up with drones flying back and forth between provider and requester chests and ignoring the stuff in the storage chests.
Example:
Lets say ill upgrade my red transport belts with blue ones. when i do that i end up with a bunch of reds in my inventory. I would like those red transportbelts to be used first when making new blue ones, instead of having my factory building even more yellow and red belts. Currently the only way to do that is to put the stuff manually into the correct assembling machines and thats a pain. If i could just toss them in a storage chest and let the drones fly them to a "request from storage" chest next to my blue belt assembling machine that would help alot, but there is no way to do that currently.

I have looked abit at other suggestions and i didnt seem to find a similar proposal. If this is a common request sorry for the spam. I guess i have to look better next time them. ;)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Would like a "Request from Storage" chest

Post by FishSandwich »

What version are you running? I thought since 0.10 storage chests had priority over provider chests when requesting stuff.

Ackbarspiff
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ackbarspiff »

Hmm thats weird. Im running 0.10.6. could it be the dyTech mod that is screwing it up then?

Just tested it again. The drones takes the requested material from the closest provider/storage chest it seems, so no priority from storage chests sadly. :(

Btw love your videos. It was actually your playthrough videos that made me aware of this game =)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Weird, I just tested it with 0.10.12(with Dytech and 4 other mods) and it worked as expected.

There's actually this bugfix in 0.10.10:
Fixed that passive provider chest acted as active provider chest after game load.
That would've screwed the priorities, making passive chest higher priority than storage chests. Maybe try upgrading?
Ackbarspiff wrote:Btw love your videos. It was actually your playthrough videos that made me aware of this game =)
Thankyou. :D

Ackbarspiff
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ackbarspiff »

FishSandwich wrote:Weird, I just tested it with 0.10.12(with Dytech and 4 other mods) and it worked as expected.

There's actually this bugfix in 0.10.10:
Fixed that passive provider chest acted as active provider chest after game load.
That would've screwed the priorities, making passive chest higher priority than storage chests. Maybe try upgrading?
Ohh thats interesting. Thank you for the tip! That might very well fix my problem.
Seems dytech also have a few bugs, from what ive read. All my lava pools is giving me 1400 degrees lava currently but someone made some lua files with changes that im also gonna try installing if they are up to date with the latest verion of dytech. But that is a discussion for another subforum. :roll:

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”