How to be warned of item shortages?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
dognosh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

How to be warned of item shortages?

Post by dognosh »

Is there a mod or do I use vanilla signaling(combinators) to warn me (in a huge base) when items run short ?
(still signal virgin but it is next on my list)
e.g. I was so busy doing other stuff I only just realised green circuits were running out.
Thank :)

dognosh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: How to be warned of item shortages?

Post by dognosh »

Ty, I'll have to learn signalling(which I want to do) :)

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

A trick I often use to evaluate if I am running low on something is to use the production screen (I set it to 10mins) and look at the rate that I am consuming materials and making plates if I notice any significant dips in consumption of materials (and corresponding drops in production) then that's usually an indicator that I ran out of materials. (This works pretty well for plates, but consumption of higher tier ingredients can be volatile sometimes).

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

Assuming that you have them stored in logistic chests, their amount can be read through roboport:
Picture
Setting up speaker is easy too (I don't like it beeping so I turn volume to zero):
Picture
If they are not in logistic chests then you need to connect speaker to some chest(s) or belt(s) where you want to measure their amount and set proper amount at speaker screen.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Note that the speaker can get annoying if it keeps going off...but you can set it to silent and still see the on-screen alert, along with a custom icon (e.g. iron ore) to know what's getting low.

robertwmack
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by robertwmack »

I tend to track items coming off the main buss by reading the belt. For example, if I read the belt of green circuits going into my red circuit array off the main buss (early/mid game) and set that to warn me if it is below a certain amount ( I typically do <8 to show half yellow belt), then I know there is a problem.

garath
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by garath »

I think there are definitely some tricks to setting the right thresholds for stuff. I was watching one YouTube video where someone connected the speaker to the transport belt at the end of the coal line fueling the boilers. Halfway through the video, he was out of coal but never heard the speaker go off. Hmm... Now that I think about it, in that case, I guess the best place to read the transport belt contents is the *ENTRANCE* to the belts feeding the boilers rather than the exit.

Swift42
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Swift42 »

I know this is an old thread, but I wrote a visual guide that covers this question ("How to create a warning signal if there is a resource shortage?"):
https://www.3d4x.ch/swift/factorio_incr ... _time.html

Return to “Gameplay Help”