My spawn point is an Island (40h gameplay). [now with save]

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

krux02
Inserter
Inserter

My spawn point is an Island (40h gameplay). [now with save]

Post by krux02 »

I'm not sure where to post it, because it is a duplicate feature request. Spawning on an Island is not accepted as a bug. So I write it here. Maybe I just want to talk with somebody about my creations. I am lacking a little bit of oil. I've in total 5 oil rigs. All other oil that I found is unreachable. I don't want to cheat, because when I start doing that once I am lost, so my only option to continue on this map is to get some form of bridges. Here is a worldmap:

It is interesting to play on a map like this, because it is not just everything flat. and the resources are a lot more sparse and distant than on default. That actually makes trains useful, because before that, my trains were just like a huge waste of time, because everything was basically nearby. Here I had to fight for my oil. and these two oil sources at the bottom right were awesome to get. I even used trans just to transport myself back to base and back to the front.

EDIT:
Because people asked for it, here is the map exchange string:
unfortunately copy seems not to work in factorio, so have fun to copy it on your own.
Btw here is a savegame uploaded on the first filehoster i could find on the internet.
Freeplay.zip
Last edited by krux02 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: My spawn point is an Island (40h gameplay). Want a Bridg

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

One mod that I know of has bridges, but they are an experimental feature at the moment. RoadWorks
However, what I think you'll find much more helpful is this one. Landfill
Hope you got plenty of stone.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Depending on your viewpoint, a continent is an island. And that is a pretty freaking huge island!

In the vanilla game, you can use construction robots as they have a theoretically unlimited building range. Thats if there is an oil patch anywhere. From what I can see, its a pretty crummy spawn for oil.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

This game totally needs water resources and ships :)

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

krux02 wrote:It is interesting to play on a map like this, because it is not just everything flat. and the resources are a lot more sparse and distant than on default. That actually makes trains useful, because before that, my trains were just like a huge waste of time, because everything was basically nearby. Here I had to fight for my oil. and these two oil sources at the bottom right were awesome to get. I even used trans just to transport myself back to base and back to the front.
You might be interested in the Resource Spawner Overhaul mod then:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=4761
It spreads the resources far and wide but makes them much richer, while guaranteeing you have a minimum amount of everything in the starting area so you can get off the ground and get trains going.

ludsoe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ludsoe »

MoTransport from MoMods, Lets you build train tracks across water.

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=2778

And it adds a boat, because that's cool n stuff.

PS What settings did you use to produce such a interesting map?

dsx20
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dsx20 »

I too spawned on an island
I too spawned on an island
spawn.png (164.88 KiB) Viewed 12788 times

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

That's a huge continent.

I agree that it might be interesting for building trains,
since it gets way easier to protect the scattered base.

You must've suspected that the continent will end somewhere, didn't you?

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

Wow, that is one gorgeous map! Care to share the seed?

I think using a mod to make a bridge is not a cheat. If you want to make it fair, give each of the small crossing points a number. Generate a random number between 1 and the total number, and only create a bridge at that point. Promise yourself only to ever do it this way, and only to do it if you have no choice. I'd do that and I'm very against cheating in a game :-)

krux02
Inserter
Inserter

Post by krux02 »

since so many people asked, I would like to post the seed of the map, but at the moment I have no idea whare I can do that. I've read something about map exchange strings in the changelog, but when I google them I get to the changelog. So any advice would be helpful.

krux02
Inserter
Inserter

Post by krux02 »

MF- wrote:That's a huge continent.
I agree that it might be interesting for building trains,
since it gets way easier to protect the scattered base.
that for one reason but most important, fewer resources everywhere, so you have to move out of the base and build trains.
MF- wrote: You must've suspected that the continent will end somewhere, didn't you?
I suspected it, and I did several restarts of the game until I finally had a configuration that did not kill me from the beginning, or gave me all the resources that I need from the start on. Then I found one that I actually liked. But the problem is, that you don't really have a preview of the map when you generate it, so you actually have to play to test it. And then at some point you already have put in too much time to restart the game. I was always hoping to find more land in many directions.

db48x
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by db48x »

Or just the ability to swim, or at least to walk in shallow water. On the other hand, in my current game I apparently messed up the settings and there's no water in sight (aside from the ponds that always show up in the starting area).

Karosieben
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Karosieben »

dsx20 wrote:Image
This really would p*** me off :D

But the "island", krux02, isnt much an island, its a continent, a world! :lol:
My german YouTube Channel: Karosieben
My Factorio Let's Plays: Singleplayer, Multiplayer and Tutorials

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

But isn't it better to see the limited space after two seconds instead of 40 hours? ;)

I also had my island moments
If your belt feels too long, your wall is just too short :mrgreen:

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

krux02 wrote:since so many people asked, I would like to post the seed of the map, but at the moment I have no idea whare I can do that. I've read something about map exchange strings in the changelog, but when I google them I get to the changelog. So any advice would be helpful.
Assuming you're using 0.10.x, there's a big "Map Exchange String" button in the bottom left of the load game window. Click it, mark the text with your mouse, hit ctrl-c to copy to clipboard and ctrl-v to paste into a message.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

krux02
Inserter
Inserter

Post by krux02 »

Boogieman14 wrote: Assuming you're using 0.10.x, there's a big "Map Exchange String" button in the bottom left of the load game window. Click it, mark the text with your mouse, hit ctrl-c to copy to clipboard and ctrl-v to paste into a message.
Thanks for the info, but unfortunately the copy paste thing did not work at all. Maybe it's because I have Linux.

Return to “Show your Creations”