[16.12] Water gets much more frequent as you go out

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
Inglonias
Inserter
Inserter

[16.12] Water gets much more frequent as you go out

Post by Inglonias »

Not sure if this counts as a bug or not, but it seems like with the way water is generated, it gets a lot more frequent and larger as you get further out from the center of the map, regardless of the frequency setting. This is similar to how ore patches seem to generate.

As someone who likes the amount of water on a map to be just so, this irks me. It feels like water should be fairly consistent in frequency and size as the map generates.
If this is not a bug, please move it into Ideas and Suggestions.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [16.12] Water gets much more frequent as you go out

Post by Klonan »

Are you certain this happens on all maps?
How far out are you searching?
Are you sure it is not just some larger scale variation in the amount of water?

Inglonias
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Inglonias »

Klonan wrote:Are you certain this happens on all maps?
How far out are you searching?
Are you sure it is not just some larger scale variation in the amount of water?
Good question. I have no way to know for certain on initial inspection. Looks like I'm going to have to do a science.

I'm going to repeatedly generate maps that are dirt and water only (Water size and frequency are both at default), nothing else on the map at all. I'm going to generate three maps in a row, then post map exchange strings and screenshots of them charted out to 2000 in all directions.
Map 1 Exchange String
Map 2 Exchange String
Map 3 Exchange String

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

2,000 tiles isn't really far enough to tell, and changing the terrain settings so that only dirt and water spawn are changing the variables quite substantially

I am pretty sure that there is nothing in the code specifying specifically that water will increase with distance, and that it is just the RNG nature and large scale variation

Inglonias
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Inglonias »

Klonan wrote:2,000 tiles isn't really far enough to tell, and changing the terrain settings so that only dirt and water spawn are changing the variables quite substantially

I am pretty sure that there is nothing in the code specifying specifically that water will increase with distance, and that it is just the RNG nature and large scale variation
Hmm. Maybe it is my imagination then. I'll just have to be more careful with my water settings in the future.

Aprillion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Aprillion »

Lua noise specification by TOGoS in https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-207 sounds relevant:
...allow large bodies of water while ensuring that the player never starts on a tiny island...

Inglonias
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Inglonias »

That might be it. I wonder what the map looks like out to 10K.

Return to “Pending”