Problems with signals

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
imTheSupremeOne
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Problems with signals

Post by imTheSupremeOne »

Hey guys I have problems with signals. I checked many guides and tried to make my own rail with 2 trains, but it is not working.

One train stucked at intersection despite of rail chain signal which allowing him to pass, and another one having "no path" issue.

Pls help me, how I said I checked a lot of information and still cant spot a mistakes. I need someone to explain what wrong.

I also checked a common mistakes - my train stations are placed correctly, and all signals placed on distance from intersection center.

P.S. My world: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oqdB ... sp=sharing
Last edited by imTheSupremeOne on Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Problems with signals

Post by Loewchen »

The train in the north is not proceeding because it is taking the right branch in direction of travel as it is shorter. The track is blocked by the train in the south, that can not reach the oil station because the track in the south west is direction east only.

imTheSupremeOne
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Loewchen wrote:The train in the north is not proceeding because it is taking the right branch in direction of travel as it is shorter. The track is blocked by the train in the south, that can not reach the oil station because the track in the south west is direction east only.
1) But why? Shouldnt train go to the niche if short path are blocked by signals?
2) No there is all right with tracks, because I tested this path without signals and сhecked that the train can move to the oil station.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

imTheSupremeOne wrote:1) But why? Shouldnt train go to the niche if short path are blocked by signals?
No, the pathfinding logic is more complicated than that.
imTheSupremeOne wrote:2) No there is all right with tracks, because I tested this path without signals and сhecked that the train can move to the oil station.
So, that the problem was gone after you removed the problem proofs that there never was a problem in the first place?!

imTheSupremeOne
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Loewchen wrote:
imTheSupremeOne wrote:1) But why? Shouldnt train go to the niche if short path are blocked by signals?
No, the pathfinding logic is more complicated than that.
imTheSupremeOne wrote:2) No there is all right with tracks, because I tested this path without signals and сhecked that the train can move to the oil station.
So, that the problem was gone after you removed the problem proofs that there never was a problem in the first place?!
Ok, so I cant understand than why this worked on this video(14:10):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZiL7_vfJtQ&t=578s
As you can see trains are are not waiting until the shortest way is empty, they are stacking on this stacker waiting till the station/path will be free.

Train found his path after I remove a red chain signal, but its because its detecting the train and it should redirect trains that are going from the left to base to the bottom niche path. It shouldnt have any affect on trains that are moving from the base to the left.
Last edited by imTheSupremeOne on Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

imTheSupremeOne wrote: As you can see trains are are not waiting until the shortest way is empty, they are stacking on this stacker waiting till the station/path will be free.
See here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=24232
imTheSupremeOne wrote:Train found his path after I remove a red chain signal, but its because its detecting the train and it should redirect trains that are going from the left to base to the bottom niche path. It shouldnt have any affect on trains that are moving from the base to the left.
You removed the signals that made the track one way, now it is two way and the train can go, that is all there is to it ;)

imTheSupremeOne
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Loewchen wrote:
imTheSupremeOne wrote: As you can see trains are are not waiting until the shortest way is empty, they are stacking on this stacker waiting till the station/path will be free.
See here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=24232
imTheSupremeOne wrote:Train found his path after I remove a red chain signal, but its because its detecting the train and it should redirect trains that are going from the left to base to the bottom niche path. It shouldnt have any affect on trains that are moving from the base to the left.
You removed the signals that made the track one way, now it is two way and the train can go, that is all there is to it ;)
2) Ok. Got it. So if you placing signal only on one side of the track its making it completely one-sided.

1) Wow... So then how does that work on the video? A mod or what? I will probably check suggestion topic then... Can you recommend me some examples of basic multiple train network? This is my first world after campaign btw...

imTheSupremeOne
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Upd: isnt that's a bug? I checked old version of factorio, and this feature working there!
https://youtu.be/m-6tola979g

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

imTheSupremeOne wrote:Upd: isnt that's a bug? I checked old version of factorio, and this feature working there!
https://youtu.be/m-6tola979g
This exact setup will work in 15.34 as well. After several iterations, the pathfinder logic could easily produce different results in different versions, and there could even be instances where the chosen path is less desirable for the human observer than it is in earlier versions and still be a general improvement. And the example at hand is quite theoretical as the use of chain signals is counterproductive.

Return to “Gameplay Help”