As has been the case for a while now, the design philosophy of megabases is "bigger and faster, until your computer cant handle it". Due to this the major challenge is not necessarily to build big, but you build UPS efficient.
This leads us to the challenge I am proposing: a mining and smelting efficiency challenge.
The concept is simple. The map consists of a giant copper ore patch 300 tiles east of spawn, and a set of void chests 300 tiles west of spawn. You must mine some ore, turn it into plate and dump it in the void chest and you need to do it using as little UPS as possible.
- You may not move the ore patch (although you are expected to build on it, its only so big so people can set up multiple outputs if they wish)
- you may move the void chests, but not past the hazard concrete at -300 X
- avoid using void chests inserted straight from smelters, think of them as part of the plate pickup system (they work well as the requesters for a plate pickup station if your doing smelt at base, or plate dropoff if your doing smelt at patch)
- You may use as much space as you like (custom mapgen means the unexplored map area will all be empty usable space)
- You may use any mods you want to make it, but it must run in vanilla (the void-chest mod will be the only mod used for judging, but creative mode is recommended for building the design)
- The map already has all non infinite research, mining productivity 200 and robot speed 15. you may not increase this further
The score of a design will be the number of plates produced per ms of computation taken, as such bigger is not always better as it may be more of a UPS hog
Submissions can be linked to here, sent to me via pm or put on the thread on reddit
Existing submissions/scoring (only scores and rough descriptions given to minimize idea theft, all designs will be made public when winner is announced)
Currently I will be providing a small Prize for the best design, and will accept if people want to chip in to the prize pool, but the main prize will be that of improving the community's future bases
* made the save compatible with stable release
* made a rules clarification as to the use of void chests
* added a submissions/scores spreadsheet