I am able to consistently replicate this crash in both normal play and in sandbox and the result is the same every time. I don't know if this occurs on other build/os's as I haven't tested, but here are the steps that I use to reproduce.
- Enter sandbox mode and elect to receive the free chest.
- Get some rails, a Cargo wagon or two, a Diesel locomotive or two, and some coal.
- Place down a short section of track that is long enough to hold a train with at least 2 units. (Cargo Wagon + Diesel Locomotive, Diesel Locomotive + Diesel Locomotive, Cargo Wagon + Cargo Wagon)
- For testing purposes it is best to save here so you don't have to repeat the initial setup.
- Place down the first carriage for the train, and then set it's health to one via moving your mouse it and running the console command: "game.player.selected.health = 1"
- Place down the second carriage behind the first carriage.
- Enter the train and drive it backwards, once the train runs off the end of the track the game will crash.
- Alternatively to driving the train you can give it enough negative speed to run off the end of the track to generate the crash.