Burner inserter coal but no power

Things that has been reported already before.
Codemaster
Inserter
Inserter

Burner inserter coal but no power

Post by Codemaster »

Hello,

I've tried to build a defense with gun turrents reloaded by burner inserters from a mixed ammo/coal belt.

The problem is that the burner inserters initially have some power and start moving items. Any item.
In my case those were the bullet magazines.

So the inserters just run out of fuel and get stuck.

Here a screenshot were a piece of coal is in the inserters hand, but it ran out of fuel before completing the move.
Stuck
Stuck
burner_inserter_problem.png (472.4 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
I think the easiest solution would be to only let the burner inserters pickup non-fuel items if they already are fueled themselves.

Thank you!

Save file is attached if needed.
Attachments
Game0.15__bugreport_burnerinserter.zip
(10.69 MiB) Downloaded 122 times
Last edited by Codemaster on Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Burner inserter coal but no power

Post by impetus maximus »

i don't see any coal on the belt. it should be full of coal (preferably on the inside)

Codemaster
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Codemaster »

impetus maximus wrote:i don't see any coal on the belt. it should be full of coal (preferably on the inside)
I've just set it up and the little coal I've loaded on the belt had already passed in the screenshot.
This inserter took a piece, but started taking the ammo first because I've loaded it first on the belt.

(Yes, ammo on the near side of the inserter to get the shorter path.)

Codemaster
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Codemaster »

Oh, I've tried the search, but it was impossible to find. At least not in a timely manner.

But why wouldn't you consider this a bug?

Inserters getting themselves stuck to a point where you have to manually rebuild them can't be normal.
This way burner inserters are more or less useless if you can't guarantee that there will always be fuel or they will get stuck.
(Obviously they can't work without fuel, but providing it on the belt should get them working again without manual help).

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Codemaster wrote:Oh, I've tried the search, but it was impossible to find. At least not in a timely manner.

But why wouldn't you consider this a bug?

Inserters getting themselves stuck to a point where you have to manually rebuild them can't be normal.
This way burner inserters are more or less useless if you can't guarantee that there will always be fuel or they will get stuck.
(Obviously they can't work without fuel, but providing it on the belt should get them working again without manual help).
Because it is working as intended. The game gives you tools, some with simple, some with complex mechanics, finding ways to make them work for your usecase is part of the game.

Codemaster
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Codemaster »

Well I can't think of a way to ensure coal is always available as well except putting some circuit logic after every 4th or so burner inserter and stop the belt if there is a shortage.
This would be very cumbersome. :?

Thinking about it, not even that holds true. Would have to clear the belt of existing ammo if the fuel gets low, but can't "mid belt".

So electric inserters it is then ...

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

the shorter path should be the coal. i tested this, and a fully loaded belt with half coal, and half ammo they do run out of fuel.
best to fuel the inserters first. add coal to the belt first, then the ammo once the inserters are fueled.
then you should have no problem. provided you have enough coal that is.

Codemaster
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Codemaster »

impetus maximus wrote:the shorter path should be the coal. i tested this, and a fully loaded belt with half coal, and half ammo they do run out of fuel.
best to fuel the inserters first. add coal to the belt first, then the ammo once the inserters are fueled.
then you should have no problem. provided you have enough coal that is.
Well I put ammo on the shorter path, because the inserters will have to pick those items way more often, therefore less time they need to move.

With a fully loaded coal side there is no problem.

Codemaster
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Codemaster »

impetus maximus wrote:i tested this, and a fully loaded belt with half coal, and half ammo they do run out of fuel.
Right they DO run out of fuel. Sorry I've read what I expected to read.

Well you are right in a way. I've tested it now.
The problem is that the second burner inserter sees the ammo first because the first picked the coal away.
(The lines started at the same time).

:? ..........
Attachments
burner_inserter_stuck2.png
burner_inserter_stuck2.png (2.01 MiB) Viewed 3091 times

Return to “Duplicates”