[0.15.18] Fast insert cannot pickup from underground exit

Bugs that are actually features.
kosievdmerwe
Inserter
Inserter

[0.15.18] Fast insert cannot pickup from underground exit

Post by kosievdmerwe »

If a belt isn't saturated enough the fast inserter cannot pick up items from the far side of the exit of the underground belt.

See attached image for the setup that repros this bug.

If the plates were on the left side of the belt then the fast inserter can pick them up.
Attachments
factorio fast inserter bug.png
factorio fast inserter bug.png (374.03 KiB) Viewed 5264 times

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.15.18] Fast insert cannot pickup from underground exit

Post by TruePikachu »

Does this only apply with the express belts, or are the normal and fast belts also affected? It could be the case that the item, after being "teleported" to the exit, leaves before the inserter can reach it (which would probably render this either Not A Bug or a Minor Issue, depending on how devs feel).

Factorie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factorie »

As Pikachu said, I believe its from the express belt being too fast for the inserter to react in time

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Factorie wrote:As Pikachu said, I believe its from the express belt being too fast for the inserter to react in time
Correct. In this case there's no bug: we never said inserters could pickup from underground belt exits/entrances in all cases. The same thing with slow inserters on fast belts: in some instances the belt is too fast. You'll have to use a normal belt if you want the inserter to always be able to pick up from it.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

socket
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by socket »

This also happens with underground belt entrances, which also fits the "not a bug" reasoning. What is strange is that it happens pretty inconsistently. Sometimes the inserter may work successfully, but in another copy of the same setup it may start failing to pick up any items. Here is a blueprint reproducing the problem using creative mode:
Blueprint
Placing a copy of this blueprint typically has the inserter successfully work. However, removing and replacing the inserter may cause it to fail continuously. Removing and replacing the underground belt causes the inserter to work properly again. So it looks like it depends on build order. I guess this inconsistency is still "not a bug", but it's kinda annoying and I'm pretty sure it breaks some builds that I remember working in 0.14 without issues.

Return to “Not a bug”