[0.15.17] Blueprint delete order expires, build order doesn'

Bugs that are actually features.
Flux Faraday
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.15.17] Blueprint delete order expires, build order doesn'

Post by Flux Faraday »

I <ctrl>-clicked a blueprint (which marks logs and trees for deletion), left the area, then came back with construction bots hours later. I was puzzled to see them hovering over build sites, then realized the red X was missing on each tree or log that had bots hovering over it. I suspect the delete order had timed out? I think this should be considered a bug. I knew what to do, but I suspect someone new to construction bots might be rather frustrated.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.17] Blueprint delete order expires, build order doesn'

Post by Rseding91 »

A bug is when something we've written doesn't work as we intended it to. Not "I want the behavior changed".

In this case it's fully working as we programmed it to. If your robots have gotten around to deconstructing the tree after 3 hours of game time then it times out. You need more robots if they're taking 3 hours to get jobs done :)
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Flux Faraday
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Flux Faraday »

Cool, cool. Thanks for the prompt feedback :)
p.s. There is no way for any of us to know if it is working as you intended it to. Thus the sometimes extraneous bug reports. Sorry for the noise.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

I guess now the question is why the construction orders didn't time out.

Flux Faraday
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Flux Faraday »

Flux Faraday wrote:Sorry for the noise.
Ya know. Screw that. I withdraw that.
This:
Rseding91 wrote:A bug is when something we've written doesn't work as we intended it to. Not "I want the behavior changed".
is a snide rebuke. One that was not deserved. I have never spent time on these forums whining that the game isn't what I want it to be. And this:
Rseding91 wrote: In this case it's fully working as we programmed it to. If your robots have gotten around to deconstructing the tree after 3 hours of game time then it times out. You need more robots if they're taking 3 hours to get jobs done :)
Indicates that you don't know what you're talking about. Think, man. You have given the player the ability to use blueprints at the beginning of the game. Exactly which robots do you think are going to come and fill those orders? Anyone who screws around with blueprints at the beginning of the game has potential to run into this issue. I care about this game. I have 2500 hours in it. I want it to be the best that it can be, and I think this blueprint behavior is a mistake. That said, it's your product. You have control of your own functional spec, so you get to say what is and is not a bug. I respect that. But please don't blow me off like an idiot. I was a software engineer for thirty five years. I think I know what a bug report is.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Sorry about that: my statement wasn't meant as any kind of insult. I was simply stating what goes in the "Bug Reports" section and what goes in the "Ideas and Suggestions" section.

In this case we designed the game to work the way it does and thus this isn't a bug. Now, it might not be ideal and maybe we should change the game but that goes under ideas and suggestions.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Flux Faraday
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Flux Faraday »

Thank you. And please excuse my sometimes thin-skinned nature. This exchange has reminded my why I retired.

Return to “Not a bug”