Rotate objects with mousewheel

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

happyfuel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Rotate objects with mousewheel

Post by happyfuel »

TL;DR
Adding the option to rotate objects with the mousewheel before placing them would be a great quality-of-life improvement
What ?
Currently the ability to map object rotation to the mousewheel exists in game, of course. My suggestion, however, is to allow the mousewheel to control both zoom and object rotation in tandem by disabling zoom while holding an object to be placed. An example workflow: I use mousewheel to zoom in on the area I wish to place an inserter. I select the inserter normally (either with hotkey or mouseclick within inventory screen), at which point, and invisibly to the user, the mousewheel function is changed so that MouseWheelDown = Rotate and MouseWheelUp = ReverseRotate. After orienting and placing my inserter, zoom functionality returns to the mousewheel.
Why ?
This method of object control and placement is much easier to manage for the one-handed gamer, and convenient for the two-handed player as well. While third-party software and/or game mods may be able to add this functionality to the game as well, the native support of this control scheme would simplify first-time setup for the disabled gamer, as well as make achievement hunting a possibility.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Rotate objects with mousewheel

Post by JohnyDL »

I'd really like to be able to scroll the toolbelt with it like minecraft..

But for you, you can rebind the R and Shift+R to mouse wheel up and mouse wheel down as you like in the options though

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

happyfuel wrote:and convenient for the two-handed player as well.
I disagree with this statement. I would like to be able to zoom at any time using the mouse-wheel. I don't want this feature to stop working under certain conditions, such as when placing an item. This would be very irritating for me.

I am in favor of the game allowing more customizability for people with disabilities, such as color-blindness (as discussed in this thread) or being one-handed. However, as a non-disabled player, I don't want to be forced to use these configurations designed for disabled people.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I have to agree with Tekky, I would want the mouse wheel to continue it's normal operation at all times.

There are however options. Literally, there's an options menu in the game, I am not against an option to do this.

what could be better in my opinion... A modifier key. perhaps you could configure for example "SHIFT + mouse wheel up" for rotate one way, and same for mouse wheel down and the other way.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

bobingabout wrote:what could be better in my opinion... A modifier key. perhaps you could configure for example "SHIFT + mouse wheel up" for rotate one way, and same for mouse wheel down and the other way.
In the original poster's example of a one-handed player, it cannot be expected that the player holds a modifier key on the keyboard while rotating the mouse wheel at the same time.

In the case of one-handed players, I guess it can be expected that they will be using a mouse with many buttons on it. Therefore, the "modifier key" that bobingabout described in his post above should not necessarily be a key on the keyboard, but should also be configurable as a "modifier button" on the mouse. So that this "modifier button" does not have to be held all the time, it should maybe also be implemented as a toggle button.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Why don't you set it to Ctrl+Mousewheel?
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

I think they want it to not have a modifier cause one handed but it has made me think about the forward and back navigation buttons on my mouse, I may be rebinding those soon..... that said I completely missed tutorialising the how to change the settings you want changed.

Options -> Controls -> Game ->
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (19.35 KiB) Viewed 3089 times
then click on them and set them as you wish :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I would like to have this:

- Place object
- Keep mouse-button pressed
- Now move into the mouse into the direction you want to have the object faced to.
- Release mouse.

Would be super fluent for belts, assemblies and other rotateable objects.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”