Buildings for Factories

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

GTMasterMan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Buildings for Factories

Post by GTMasterMan »

A very rough image of what I think of:
A very rough image of what I think of:
Buildings_Example_Factorio.png (9.71 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
The idea is to have prodution on more than one level. Like that you could make e.g. a building that produces advanced circuits by having a copper wire production on the most upper floor an basic circuit prodution on the floor below and the advanced circuit prodution on the normal ground.

XxKR4K3NxX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Buildings for Factories

Post by XxKR4K3NxX »

This could be an interesting concept, what my questions are how would the stacking be implemented, would there be a shell you would have to build in order to interact and set up the machines so you could build vertically? And if so what would be the cap or limit to this, would there be small bridges to transport from building to building? This is a great idea think, there just needs to be more details on how it would come to be placed in the game, and how the player and gui would interact with it.

lastpick
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lastpick »

Here's a thought a toggle in the manufacturing plan view for each floor, this would be used to set the recipe for each floor.
Secondly each multi-floor factory would have an adjacent say 2x1 extension to the left and right of the factory. When clicked this extension would show a UI representing the outputs for each floor and a toggle next to it to show where the output goes. All input and output to the factory would come from these extensions. quick mockup below
MockUpFactorioUI.gif
MockUpFactorioUI.gif (46.43 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
MockUpFactorioUI2.gif
MockUpFactorioUI2.gif (29.8 KiB) Viewed 4450 times

XxKR4K3NxX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by XxKR4K3NxX »

That seems like a really clever system and representation in the gui, I think it would work as a viable plan to build vertical for those who don't have the space for horizontal expansion, or just want a skyscraper esque sort of feel in their factory. Now that there's a mockup in the gui how would it look in game? This idea has a lot of promise if it's executed excellently :D

AgentDove
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AgentDove »

or you could just have it that you have to put stairs in somewhere, and when you on that floor everything above it become transparent and you can interact with it all.

[EDIT]
all as in everything on the floor your on.
The biggest cause of train destruction in my world is me... ignoring signals.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

As I said something about there https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=5100
I think I need also to say that here:

I think this breaks with one of the basic principles of Factorio, that you can see, what happens.

And I don't know, why it should be needed, cause even in very, very dense situations I always found a way to place one more building. And then one more. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

XxKR4K3NxX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by XxKR4K3NxX »

ssilk wrote:As I said something about there https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=5100
I think I need also to say that here:

I think this breaks with one of the basic principles of Factorio, that you can see, what happens.

And I don't know, why it should be needed, cause even in very, very dense situations I always found a way to place one more building. And then one more. :)
I understand what you're trying to get at but I think the key points on which these ideas differ is that this isn't a suggestion to the restructuring of a whole part of the game, I don't think this should replace horizontally placing buildings. What I see when I imagine this is futuristic, like early settlers their goal was to house more people, produce better and great things in a more confined space, since confining buildings horizontally has limits the only other option was to build up. I mean it would certainly take awhile to implement it into the game if it ever gets picked up, but I think as a game about automation and technologically advancing that automation I would think making more in less space would be the next logical step in a manufacturing process. I'm simply proposing that we have this in addition to the regular system, not to replace the regular building system altogether, give the player the choice of whether they want tall manufacturing towers or a complex of laid out buildings.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I repeat my point (and add a second): this breaks, that "what you built is how it works" and the second is, that the graphics in Factorio is limited in height, cause if it is too high the things behind can't be seen anymore.

If you find solutions for that, well, I never say never and I'm not the devs. But I think I know how they think. :)

AgentDove
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AgentDove »

transparency.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

What should be transparent and when?

AgentDove
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AgentDove »

when you close to being behind or when you mouse over the area that is blocked by the building it becomes transparent. And maybe the rest of the building becomes black to show the area that it takes up a bit better.
and when you go inside the building all floors above are transparent.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”