Order, Game, Copyright issues (need help)

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
BloodyRum
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Order, Game, Copyright issues (need help)

Post by BloodyRum »

I am trying to make a new mod for Factorio that i think will be great but i am having miss understandings with order (ex "order = "a-b-c" ) and how it works. i know that order will define were the item is in a sorted inventory but i don't know how to use it and if it is required. Also i am having other miss understandings with how the game works itself when i change my mod to add another piece it complains and says "...Desktop\Games\Game files\Factorio\mods\EasyTech|data.lua:16:'}' expected (to close '{' at line 1) near ''{' " i Don't know if this is standerd but it stops me from going. One last think and this is for the staff to answer (or anyone that knows for sure) if i take the "basic-exoskeleton-equipment.png" (or any other png in the game) And edit it to make it look more advanced (higher MRK) will i have copyright issues? i want to find out before i get sued for making a mindless mistake p.s i can have trouble explaining things and i type fast and alot sorry if i over complicated things

(btw "EasyTech" is a mod that i made that just makes alien artifacts craftable because i dont want to fighting yet)

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Order, Game, Copyright issues (need help)

Post by FreeER »

Order is the string (of characters) that the game uses to tell what comes before something else (ie "bcd" would come before "ccd" but after "bbc"), also see this post by Kovarex, which explains that item order strings are used after sorting by item group and item subgroup, as well as the 'newer' 'syntax' used in the base game. To understand why there are non-alphabetic characters in the string (and how they work), it's important to understand that characters are internally represented by numbers on a computer, see ACII on wikipedia, and maybe Unicode if you'd like :) As such, when comparing characters it's really just seeing which has the largest number representing it. It is required for items and entities that are not placed from items (no item has a 'placeresult' of with the entity's name) if I recall correctly, mostly I copy/paste from the base game and if it has an order string then I use one, or if I try to start Factorio and get an error along the lines of a missing node 'order' then I add one :)
BloodyRum wrote:'}' expected (to close '{' at line 1) near ''{'
This is standard when there is an error with your lua syntax, this one is very probably caused by a missing ',' between your old code and the new piece of code (probably on line 15, it usually says 1+ the actual line number because it goes to the next line when trying to find the ',' and finds a new '{' instead). The ',' lets lua know that there is more information that it should put with the previous table of information.
BloodyRum wrote:copyright issues
The devs have not had a problem so far with modders using (and modifying) the graphics that they have included, several mods do use modified versions of the base graphics.

Hope that's helpful :)
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

BloodyRum
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BloodyRum »

FreeER wrote:[snip]
Thank you Free i was just missing a "," i thought the game made a "copy" of the code and it was looking for something that was there to prevent curroupting files. Free Thank You not just for this help but for the help all around the Forums and wiki and the tut that brought me backing into coding with lua

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

No problem, I enjoy helping when I can :P
PS. I edited the quote since it was long and essentially unneeded :)

Return to “Modding help”