avatar head should follow mouse position

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

noobula
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

avatar head should follow mouse position

Post by noobula »

The head of the player avatar just scans left and right.
Have the head of the player follow the mouse.

Roxor128
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: avatar head should follow mouse position

Post by Roxor128 »

I wouldn't count on it. That's the sort of thing that's easy to do in a polygon engine. Factorio uses a sprite engine. It'd require a whole new set of sprites for every possible offset between where the character is facing and where you want the head pointing. Really not worth the trouble.

Ingolifs
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ingolifs »

So, like, I'm the one who wanted the tank's treads to move when it turns while stationary, and even I think this is frivolous.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

As pointed out by Raxor, due to this being a sprite based game, that would be A LOT of work, for a cosmetic change, that in my opinion is... trivial at best.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

Reanimate!

Currently, the character looks stupid around all the time. (See? I've combined "looks stupid" and "looks around". Bad puns are 1000% funnier when explained.)

Seriously, though. I don't think we need new sprites. Existing ones are sufficient to cover the entire 360° range (if we take rotation of the entire character into account).
It is enough to just tie sprites to the position of player's cursor instead of looping them. I think it would suffice to do that only when a player is standing still. The run animation could stay the same.

Why? This would help to telegraph player intentions to other players.
When I see a player standing between a train station and a science factory I don't really know if they are waiting on a train, changing a schedule or thinking how to expand the science. Would it bother them if I start changing the science myself? It would become much more apparent when the player's head would follow their cursor. It's an additional information which doesn't introduce a new GUI element and doesn't distract players. Win-win.
And the current animation would still be used to indicate that the player is idle which would also be a useful information.
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

<NO_NAME> wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:49 pm
Currently, the character looks stupid around all the time. (See? I've combined "looks stupid" and "looks around". Bad puns are 1000% funnier when explained.)
I can confirm this.

On a more serious note, there is an option in debug for multiplayer to show what other players' cursors are hovering over. Sure it's not polished in any way, but it's interesting sometimes.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”