[0.15.5] MP Desync (possibly Heat pipe related)

Things that has been reported already before.
exi2163
Inserter
Inserter

[0.15.5] MP Desync (possibly Heat pipe related)

Post by exi2163 »

This is a desync report from the Arumba Railworld server from 01.05.2017 at around 22:00.
User bawli supplied me with the desync report, it is available at https://bawki.de/factorio/arumba-railwo ... -desync.7z

We wanted to load test our reactor setup on the big island and disconnected the heatpipes from the reactors (10). As soon as we connected the heatpipes of the fully heated reactors back to the cooled down heat exchangers (we have let the base eat all the buffered steam and then started the test) it desynced around 8 ppl (from about 25).

Then we removed 6 reactors and waited for the game to stabilize. Putting the reactors back pretty fast triggered a second desync wave (no desync report available) on putting down reactor #9 of 10. Unfortunatly my screenshot was not saved as i smashed the wrong key but i noticed one of the new reactors had a temperature of 447°C (in case this means anything).

Part of gamelog from my machine (not affected by any of those desyncs): https://pastebin.com/SFwMX6kT
I archived the full log if wanted and i can upload normal save files from 22:09 and 22:23 if needed.

eigensheep
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.15.5] MP Desync (possibly Heat pipe related)

Post by eigensheep »

This sounds very similar to this (resolved for next patch) issue: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=45754

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

eigensheep wrote:This sounds very similar to this (resolved for next patch) issue: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=45754
Indeed, if it happens again in .6 simply make a new report. Save file uploads are generally not necessary for desyncs as the reports contain them.

exi2163
Inserter
Inserter

Post by exi2163 »

Ehm... this was not the kind of appreciation i expected from writing this. It took quite an effort to convince a user to upload the report and my time to write the post with information that might be actually useful for the developers. I made ~30ppl wait for the server reboot so we can get the desync report in the first place because the devs asked for them.
I know that the report contains the save this is why i did not include it in the post. However i did not look at the save in the desync so in case it is corrupted i offered the save from a different machine because i have it.

I work in IT and i am a programmer myself so yes the other issue sounds like it but "simply make a new report" is IT-speech for "get the fuck off my yard" and this is why i am not very happy right now.

What i expected would be "Thanks for the report. Hey posila, this looks a lot like <ref>, do you think that is fixed with .6 as well?"

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

exi2163 wrote:Ehm... this was not the kind of appreciation i expected from writing this. It took quite an effort to convince a user to upload the report and my time to write the post with information that might be actually useful for the developers. I made ~30ppl wait for the server reboot so we can get the desync report in the first place because the devs asked for them.
I know that the report contains the save this is why i did not include it in the post. However i did not look at the save in the desync so in case it is corrupted i offered the save from a different machine because i have it.

I work in IT and i am a programmer myself so yes the other issue sounds like it but "simply make a new report" is IT-speech for "get the fuck off my yard" and this is why i am not very happy right now.

What i expected would be "Thanks for the report. Hey posila, this looks a lot like <ref>, do you think that is fixed with .6 as well?"
You need to see it the other way, because you provided detailed information around the desync, we could determine that the issue has been fixed already without the need for a developer to spend time on. I might not even be right, but fact is, the heat spread mechanic had basic flaws and will be working differently in the new version.
I know the pain of hunting those issues myself since the beginning of the multiplayer mode (back then you had to be able to reproduce them, desync reports had little use), and I am not working in IT so when I say "simply make a new report when it occurs in .6" what I mean is do not be discouraged that this one has been found already but report again if you find something again.

exi2163
Inserter
Inserter

Post by exi2163 »

The really sad part is that putting way less effort into the report would have yielded way more satisfaction to see the bug fixed in 0.15.6 but i will try to see the positive side, thanks for your understanding :)

Return to “Duplicates”