Performance with HD textures

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Mango
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Performance with HD textures

Post by Mango »

Hi there.

As a guy who doesn't have a good graphics card and knows basicly nothing about programing, I'd like to ask a question.

Im pretty sure, my computer won't be able to handle new graphics, so I was thinking... Is it possible to programme the game so it changes it's texture quality depending on how zoomed you currently are?
Lets say im totally zoomed out, so I don't need high graphics 'cause I won't recognise it anyway. But as i zoom in I can see the difference.

So the idea is to basicly be able to see better grafics when zoomed in, but let the game change to old textures when zoomed out.

As I said, I have no idea if it's possible or if im totally out... just thinking. :?:
Hm.... so we have a mystery donor... intriguing.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Performance with HD textures

Post by Mooncat »

There is such technique in computer graphics, called Mipmap.

A drawback is that it will increase memory usage, because textures of all resolutions have to be loaded into memory, or otherwise, switching between resolutions during runtime will cause lag as the process takes time.

Don't know what the devs think about it. But if it is implemented, there should be an option to turn it off, or people will complain about having insufficient memory.
In my mod testing environment, I have to set graphics quality to very low or the driver will crash, because there are too many images from too many mods. lol

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

The biggest limitation of the HD textures will be VRAM, the functionality you are proposing would make this issue even bigger as you would have to store the low resolution variants as well. Furthermore the minimum VRAM for the HD textures is 4GB, if your card has that, then it should be performant enough anyway.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Loewchen wrote:Furthermore the minimum VRAM for the HD textures is 4GB.
This is ofcourse with all texture being high res which 0.15 won't have. For 0.15 you are probably good if you have atleast 2GB.
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... s/dgkgl5x/
Waste of bytes : P

Vectura
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vectura »

hang on, so if I don't have a highly expensive graphics card then I won't even be able to run the high resolution textures! I really, really hope that is not the case...

Vectura
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vectura »

So I will need a 4gb graphics card to run the final game with the high res textures? Welp, I REALLY hope the low res textures will remain an option then!

joon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by joon »

Yeah for high res is 4Gb recommended. 2 Gb is for normal graphics and they will keep the normal/low resolution, I think.
Klonan - Changelog 0.15 wrote:- Added high graphics quality "option"

xng
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xng »

Vectura wrote:So I will need a 4gb graphics card to run the final game with the high res textures? Welp, I REALLY hope the low res textures will remain an option then!
Don't worry you still have the normal resolution, and you also have a compressed texture setting for even less memory demand.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Vectura wrote:hang on, so if I don't have a highly expensive graphics card then I won't even be able to run the high resolution textures! I really, really hope that is not the case...
You don't need a "highly expensive" graphics card for 4GB memory. Even a crappy RX 460 will do that.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Jhonny wrote:Yeah for high res is 4Gb recommended. 2 Gb is for normal graphics and they will keep the normal/low resolution, I think.
Klonan - Changelog 0.15 wrote:- Added high graphics quality "option"
The minimum requirements will stay at 512MB for the time afaik.

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

Loewchen wrote:The biggest limitation of the HD textures will be VRAM, the functionality you are proposing would make this issue even bigger as you would have to store the low resolution variants as well.
It's worth pointing out, however, that the impact of storing the lower-resolution textures should be a small fraction of the high-res ones. i.e. If the low-res textures are 1/2 the spatial resolution (e.g. 200 dots per inch instead of 400 DPI, or whatever the case may be), then they would be 1/4th the amount of memory. Super-low-res textures that are 1/3 the resolution of the high-res ones would of course be 1/9th the memory required. That's just how 2D data works. :)

Vectura
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vectura »

Another question then. Will the 'normal' texture quality that you mentioned be the same as the low resolution textures we have now, or will it be a step above that?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Mango wrote:Is it possible to programme the game so it changes it's texture quality depending on how zoomed you currently are?
This is called texture streaming and is widely used in gaming to unload old and load new textures as you move through level or world. Factorio currently doesn't have this, but we will experiment with texture streaming in future. We kind of dug ourselves into a hole by adding zoom-to-world feature, which allows you to zoom on any part of a map almost instantly, which would cause noticeable pop-in.
Loewchen wrote:The minimum requirements will stay at 512MB for the time afaik.
Normal resolution graphics takes up about 800 MB currently, but I am sure 512MB graphics card will be able to handle that with driver using shared memory for things that are not used very often. But we will have to test that somehow ... eventually.
Vectura wrote:hang on, so if I don't have a highly expensive graphics card then I won't even be able to run the high resolution textures! I really, really hope that is not the case...
Depends on what do you consider highly expensive graphics card, currently high-res seems to work fine on GTX 750 Ti with 2 GB VRAM.
Vectura wrote:Another question then. Will the 'normal' texture quality that you mentioned be the same as the low resolution textures we have now, or will it be a step above that?
0.14 level of quality of sprites is considered "normal"

Return to “General discussion”