Realistic Vehicle building Idea

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Wilco
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Realistic Vehicle building Idea

Post by Wilco »

Hey, I want to get started with modding factorio but the docs are outdated and incomplete. This is where you come in: To collab on this mod!

Mod idea:
I never liked the idea of being able to carry around stacks of vehicles in you pocket. So this mod changes the way you build and use vehicles.
- You can no longer craft any vehicles in your inventory
- New building: Rail Yard, this building has some train tracks leading out of it and it will be able to craft a locomotive or cargo thing, this will not be an item but rather it will spawn the vehicle on the tracks
- New building: Garage, same as the rail yard, except it crafts cars and trains, this building doesnt have a rail connection.
- You cannot pickup vehicles or place them down

What do you guys think and please let me know if you have an idea of how to do this or if you want to help out on this!
Thanks

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Realistic Vehicle building Idea

Post by Supercheese »

How is carrying vehicles around in your pocket any different from carrying rocket silos and oil refineries in your pocket?

AltTab
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AltTab »

Well your idea is to mix the "no hand craft" mod principle with a building that generates the vehicle on the ground and make it non minable.

With a few simple coding, it seems possible.
I'll work it to see if easy enough for me to do it. Then add it to a mod I'm working on it. (Feel free to steal the code if you want :lol: )
Supercheese wrote:How is carrying vehicles around in your pocket any different from carrying rocket silos and oil refineries in your pocket?
Well we can also make make it to those materials. Only produced by an assembler and deployed by a bot.
But probably this will make things a lot more complicated because I see lots of ways to work around it (like mining the bot and get the object inside it)
Check my mod that it's under construction:
Check GitHub or the Forum Post

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

If you want to play a realistic car production you can play Production line http://www.positech.co.uk/productionline/. It's currently in alpha but we are used to it thanks to Factorio :)

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Wilco
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Wilco »

AltTab wrote:Well your idea is to mix the "no hand craft" mod principle with a building that generates the vehicle on the ground and make it non minable.

With a few simple coding, it seems possible.
I'll work it to see if easy enough for me to do it. Then add it to a mod I'm working on it. (Feel free to steal the code if you want :lol: )
Supercheese wrote:How is carrying vehicles around in your pocket any different from carrying rocket silos and oil refineries in your pocket?
Well we can also make make it to those materials. Only produced by an assembler and deployed by a bot.
But probably this will make things a lot more complicated because I see lots of ways to work around it (like mining the bot and get the object inside it)
Thanks for implementing my idea! Can you let me know when youre about to release this mod? I would love to be an early tester!

Ishakaru
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ishakaru »

I read somewhere that it's not possible to place trains on tracks due the code or something. Is this the case? Cause if not, a rail yard would be awesome. Being able to automate the number of trains on a network, in tandem with recursive blueprints and logistic trains would solve so many issues.

AltTab
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AltTab »

Wilco wrote:Thanks for implementing my idea! Can you let me know when youre about to release this mod? I would love to be an early tester!
It's still on it's earliest steps. (check my signature). Since for my idea needs a progression of recipes and your idea is not on my high priority list, I don't predict your idea to be actually implemented in less than 6 months.
Ishakaru wrote:I read somewhere that it's not possible to place trains on tracks due the code or something. Is this the case? Cause if not, a rail yard would be awesome. Being able to automate the number of trains on a network, in tandem with recursive blueprints and logistic trains would solve so many issues.
it is possible. Not on a common way. But if it's in the code the possibility to place it on the game there is a possibility.
I'll give this example to try it yourself:

put 3 or 4 consecutive lines of rails perpendicular to you and put yourself on the leftmost one. then run this code (it's not optimized but I had a few probs on putting the object slightly to the right.):

Code: Select all

/c for y=0,0 do for x=0,0 do game.surfaces.nauvis.create_entity({name="diesel-locomotive", amount=1, position={game.player.position.x+2, game.player.position.y+2}, force=game.forces.player }) end end
If I input this code on the railyard this may actually work. (note that vehicles are not-blueprintable so some ideas are somewhat limited. but in advancement of this code it's possible.

PS: if you manage to create the graphics for the railyard/garage I may postpone my project and actually create the railyard/garage. 8-)

Ishakaru
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ishakaru »

AltTab wrote: PS: if you manage to create the graphics for the railyard/garage I may postpone my project and actually create the railyard/garage. 8-)
Soz, I can write code(havn't gotten into lua yet), but I can't draw my way out of a wet paper bag. Hmm... I think I may be implying that I have more art skills than I actually do... >.>

AltTab
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AltTab »

You should try to have some fun with factorio modding.

It's a nice intro to lua. Especially because you have a rather small API. So you just think what you want, go check the API, then create the code.

My first real attempt to create code in Lua was exactly in factorio (even though I already coded in lua with copypasta :P ), and I find it very intuitive.
Especially if I forget a comma the game itself tells me where the comma is missing and not a "sintax error" general error. :D

Tym
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tym »

I have a suggestion for an approach to producing the rocket silo. Rather than creating it -in- an assembler, let there be a specific "rocket-silo" assembler that -turns into- the rocket silo at the completion of the build. There might be some opportunity for interesting graphics as the 3x3 assembler morphs into the 9x9? rocket silo.

I like the ideas of 'factory buildings' in which 'larger' items are built, such as any of the transport vehicles.

thanks,
-Tym

AltTab
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AltTab »

Tym wrote:I have a suggestion for an approach to producing the rocket silo. Rather than creating it -in- an assembler, let there be a specific "rocket-silo" assembler that -turns into- the rocket silo at the completion of the build. There might be some opportunity for interesting graphics as the 3x3 assembler morphs into the 9x9? rocket silo.

I like the ideas of 'factory buildings' in which 'larger' items are built, such as any of the transport vehicles.

thanks,
-Tym
That seems a code challenge... But an interesting one. But to reduce the checking code I would probably (if I see potential) try to remake this by either create a 9x9 building with 3x3 graphics or a 9 buildings with 3x3 size so they can be replaced by only 1 building. This has to be done or it would need extensive code to check available space and even output error message if there is not enough space.

Btw, do you make graphics? Cause to make something work there is more than coding needed...

Tym
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tym »

AltTab;
Sorry, I'm not graphically inclined. I do understand the need for visual representation, though. I might suggest using existing items, such as surrounding the core assembler with concrete or stone pathway, or even a combination of walls and concrete, for which primitives are already available for their removal. Therefore, coding could proceed, and the images replaced later on should someone take an interest.

Thanks,
Tym

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”