Desync when robots build blueprint

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Post Reply
Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:32 pm
Contact:

Desync when robots build blueprint

Post by Xeanoa » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:22 pm

We keep getting desyncs in multiplayer.

When placing a blueprints containing inserters and powerpoles, we experience frequent desyncs.

It seems to happen the moment when the inserters are powered on for the first time.
The inserters were modified with Bob's GUI, both fast and express inserters. Powerpoles are Medium Pole MK2's.
Attachments
1.zip
(11.91 MiB) Downloaded 30 times
factorio-current.log
(42.29 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
mods.zip
(22.58 MiB) Downloaded 33 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 9464
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:23 am
Contact:

Re: Desync when robots build blueprint

Post by Rseding91 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:32 pm

One of the mods is broken. You'll need to figure out which one and have the mod author fix it or remove it to prevent it from desyncing.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Desync when robots build blueprint

Post by Xeanoa » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:38 pm

Rseding91 wrote:One of the mods is broken. You'll need to figure out which one and have the mod author fix it or remove it to prevent it from desyncing.
Already PMed Bob before posting here, and he told me it's not his mods, it's the base game's fault, and to post here. I'll PM him the link to this thread.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 9464
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:23 am
Contact:

Re: Desync when robots build blueprint

Post by Rseding91 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:13 pm

Xeanoa wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:One of the mods is broken. You'll need to figure out which one and have the mod author fix it or remove it to prevent it from desyncing.
Already PMed Bob before posting here, and he told me it's not his mods, it's the base game's fault, and to post here. I'll PM him the link to this thread.
I didn't say it was bobs mods. Just one (or more) of them is causing it. If you can make a new 50x50 map that reproduces it (without every single mod you have - just 1-2 that reproduces it) I'll take a look at it.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Desync when robots build blueprint

Post by Xeanoa » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:29 pm

Having a little trouble setting up a fresh map. I installed CM and Bob's Inserters, but I couldn't get the GUI for the inserters to appear. I'll work more on that later.

What I'm 100% sure of, however, is that the desyncs happens by powering on inserters placed by robots for the first time. It doesn't matter if the client or server does it, either.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 9464
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:23 am
Contact:

Re: Desync when robots build blueprint

Post by Rseding91 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:07 am

Xeanoa wrote:Having a little trouble setting up a fresh map. I installed CM and Bob's Inserters, but I couldn't get the GUI for the inserters to appear. I'll work more on that later.

What I'm 100% sure of, however, is that the desyncs happens by powering on inserters placed by robots for the first time. It doesn't matter if the client or server does it, either.
I've looked at the code in bobs inserters and tested it myself and I get no desyncs with just bobs inserters. I can blueprint and build inserters (changing the pickup/dropoff locations randomly) all I want and they build correctly without any issues. They power on and move the items exactly as they should - no desyncs.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 9464
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:23 am
Contact:

Re: Desync when robots build blueprint

Post by Rseding91 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:18 am

Ok, I was able to reproduce it. I was testing on 0.15 and it doesn't happen there. I can reproduce it in 0.14 easily.

So, I guess it's fixed for 0.15 :)
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

User avatar
bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 6732
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 1:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Desync when robots build blueprint

Post by bobingabout » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:55 am

Basically, the reason why I refered him to here is because, he said it specifically happens when using blueprints.

The inserters mod only ever changes settings on user click, and the logistics mod only ever on inserter entity placement by player (the ghost itself is modified in the case of them placing a ghost for an inserter to place)

My mod actually has a strict "If the player is holding a blueprint, don't do anything" check, therefore, in theory, the error occurs simply because the inserter has been configured.


And my referal didn't specifically say "It's definitely base game", just that it's either base game, or a mod that isn't mine.


Anyway, glad to see it's solved.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Desync when robots build blueprint

Post by Xeanoa » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:03 am

Rseding91 wrote:Ok, I was able to reproduce it. I was testing on 0.15 and it doesn't happen there. I can reproduce it in 0.14 easily.

So, I guess it's fixed for 0.15 :)
That's good to know, thank you!

What exactly causes the issue? Is it anything we can avoid triggering? I'd like to keep desyncs to a minimum to keep my fiancee sane :mrgreen:
I noticed it doesn't happen always happen, there's gotta be something in it

Demosthenex
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Desync when robots build blueprint

Post by Demosthenex » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:59 pm

Xeanoa wrote:We keep getting desyncs in multiplayer.

When placing a blueprints containing inserters and powerpoles, we experience frequent desyncs.
I've been debugging the same thing, and talked to Rseding about it on IRC and even stood up a dedicated server with a new map to try and recreate the problem. I got as far as not recreating it with Bob's only, and hadn't yet started through binary search of the mods I'm using to see if there was a conflict.

Is this confirmed to be a vanilla issue? Can I avoid the problem just by omitting power poles from blueprints?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 9464
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:23 am
Contact:

Re: Desync when robots build blueprint

Post by Rseding91 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Xeanoa wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:Ok, I was able to reproduce it. I was testing on 0.15 and it doesn't happen there. I can reproduce it in 0.14 easily.

So, I guess it's fixed for 0.15 :)
That's good to know, thank you!

What exactly causes the issue? Is it anything we can avoid triggering? I'd like to keep desyncs to a minimum to keep my fiancee sane :mrgreen:
I noticed it doesn't happen always happen, there's gotta be something in it
Building any blueprint with a custom inserter pickup or dropoff position in it that you rotated while building will cause It.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Desync when robots build blueprint

Post by Xeanoa » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Rseding91 wrote:
Xeanoa wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:Ok, I was able to reproduce it. I was testing on 0.15 and it doesn't happen there. I can reproduce it in 0.14 easily.

So, I guess it's fixed for 0.15 :)
That's good to know, thank you!

What exactly causes the issue? Is it anything we can avoid triggering? I'd like to keep desyncs to a minimum to keep my fiancee sane :mrgreen:
I noticed it doesn't happen always happen, there's gotta be something in it
Building any blueprint with a custom inserter pickup or dropoff position in it that you rotated while building will cause It.
Again, thanks! That's something that can be worked around!
that you rotated while building
I assume this means rotating it while holding it in hand, then placing it?
If so, then rotating to the desired rotation before picking up the blueprint should work?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 9464
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:23 am
Contact:

Re: Desync when robots build blueprint

Post by Rseding91 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:49 pm

Building it rotated is what triggers it.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Demosthenex
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Desync when robots build blueprint

Post by Demosthenex » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Rseding91 wrote:Building it rotated is what triggers it.
Do you mean custom pickup/dropoff rotation, or rotating the inserter after customization?

Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Desync when robots build blueprint

Post by Xeanoa » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:07 pm

I understand it as: Building the blueprint not in the original rotation causes it.

Demosthenex
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Desync when robots build blueprint

Post by Demosthenex » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:18 pm

Xeanoa wrote:I understand it as: Building the blueprint not in the original rotation causes it.
That rings a bell with my experience! Rotate the blueprint and then you get desyncs. I even recently did a test where I tested many possible rotations, and blueprinted them around to try and verify that thought.

Can you confirm it works fine if you always use the blueprint in the same orientation as when it was taken?

Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Desync when robots build blueprint

Post by Xeanoa » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:26 pm

Recently moved several complexes around with large blueprints to make space for rails, but only changing location, not rotation, at we didn't get the expected desyncs, so I can confirm that.

Post Reply

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users