[RESOLVED!] Suddenly no sound at all!?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Gamezalot
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[RESOLVED!] Suddenly no sound at all!?

Post by Gamezalot »

So, yesterday I was playing the game and everything was fine, but then I go to play the game again today, and all of a sudden there's no sound in the game... no music, no effects, nothing. I checked the volume sliders, cranked them up from their defaults (which is normally fine), but still no sound.

My computer's sound is working, and other Steam games play with sound, no problems. I checked the mixer level for the game while it's running, which is set at 90%, but no joy. Even when I set ALL the mixer levels to 100%, still no sound in the game. (Windows sounds are still working, of course.)

What I've tried so far;

I verified the game cache for Factorio. (No issues found)
I uninstalled/reinstalled the game.
I've rebooted my computer, naturally... still no sound. :(
I uninstalled the game again, then deleted the \Appdata\Roaming\Factorio folder before reinstalling... ugh, still no sound!

I am not opted into any of the beta branches and the About screen shows version 0.14.21 (build 25327, win64, steam) Although, I think that's strange because isn't the beta branch on 0.14.xx?? Maybe I'm mistaken there.

The only thing I have not tried is uninstall the game and then hunt down and delete any registry keys related to the game.

Anyone have any suggestions, plz?? Thanks!
Last edited by Gamezalot on Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Suddenly no sound at all!?

Post by Loewchen »

Log please.

Gamezalot
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gamezalot »

I'm new here, sorry. These the logs you're looking for?
factorio-current.log
(2.63 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
factorio-previous.log
(2.57 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Thanks!

Gamezalot
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gamezalot »

Got you guys stumped on this one, huh? :?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Gamezalot wrote:Got you guys stumped on this one, huh? :?
Yes, you did. From the logs it seems DirectSound has initialized without any problems, so I have no idea why it wouldn't play sounds for you.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

The log looks fine, no error there.

It might be a problem with the WIndows sound mixer if you have several audio output devices installed and Windows somehow uses the wrong one for Factorio.
If you open the volume mixer do you see Factorio in the applications list and does its sound bar move? If not then right click on the speaker icon and select Playback devices. Make sure the device you're using is set as Default device, disable all other ones to see if that helps.
Gamezalot wrote:The only thing I have not tried is uninstall the game and then hunt down and delete any registry keys related to the game.
Factorio doesn't create any registry keys, it saves all its settings in the config.ini file. To do a complete reinstall from scratch on the Steam version:
  • Uninstall the game from Steam
  • Delete the %appdata%\Factorio folder
  • Delete the Steam\SteamApps\common\Factorio folder
  • Reboot your PC
  • Reinstall Factorio from Steam
If none of the above helps then try downloading the .zip-version from the website, extract it and launch it from there, maybe that works.
Gamezalot wrote:I am not opted into any of the beta branches and the About screen shows version 0.14.21 (build 25327, win64, steam) Although, I think that's strange because isn't the beta branch on 0.14.xx??
0.14.21 was first released as experimental but this was later changed to stable. Whether you choose NONE or 0.14.21 experimental doesn't make a difference (except that the experimental doesn't update automatically).
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Gamezalot
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gamezalot »

Gah!! FML, I knew this would end up being something dumb on my part!

So, when you, daniel34, suggested checking the default sound device (and yes, the volume slider was moving) I got a dialog that said Windows was using "sound enhancements" that were causing problems with the device, and of course, it asked me if I wanted to disable those enhancements. As soon as I clicked the "Yes" button, the Factorio sounds came through immediately!

I actually work in IT and I have seen sound issues on user computers before that were caused by this same issue, BUT, in each of those cases, there was no sound from the computer at all and it was not limited to specific applications. In this scenario, I was thrown off by the fact that other games had sound, and Windows had sound... just not Factorio, which is still a bit odd, but doesn't really matter at this point, I suppose.

Thanks for your help guys! :D Game on!

Return to “Technical Help”