Is there a maximum distance for a biter force to attack?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Foxite
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Is there a maximum distance for a biter force to attack?

Post by Foxite »

This is my current situation:

I'm getting frequent attacks every couple of minutes from various nests, and I can deal with those easily.

I'm more concerned about the large nest in the top left. If the cloud reaches that nest, they might decide to attack. It's not that far away in a straight line, but they would have to go around that sea/river that's in the way. If the river does end, then there is a path for a force coming from that nest to attack my factory. But it's quite far away. Is this too far, or will they still attack?

On top of that, there is another large nest in the bottom-left, which is definitely close enough to attack. I'm not sure I'd be able to repel an attack from both of these nests at the same time, should they attack at the same time.

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Is there a maximum distance for a biter force to attack?

Post by Kelderek »

That's a good question I would like to know too. I would assume that the biters would want to attack you once they get hit with the pollution cloud, but whether they can is another issue.

Of course you can just use some landfill to make a bridge across the water to the upper left and give them a nice path right into a well designed ambush :)

You are definitely going to upset those biters to the south pretty soon, you might consider running a defense wall/turrets between those few smaller lakes. You can always preemptively attack biter nests and destroy any ones that are or will soon be in range of your pollution cloud, that can help limit attacks too.

Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Is there a maximum distance for a biter force to attack?

Post by Xeanoa »

I believe as long as you do not discover the chunks they need to walk around the water, the AI will not be able to find a path, and those chunks literally don't exist yet.

Return to “Gameplay Help”