Display Total Assembling Time (Factor in crafting speed/module bonuses into crafting time)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Blacksmoke16
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Display Total Assembling Time (Factor in crafting speed/module bonuses into crafting time)

Post by Blacksmoke16 »

It would be a nice feature if you hovered over an item being built in, an assembly machine for example, that the time to craft that item would change based on the bonuses/crafting speed of the building.

So, for example i am making item A, which takes 10 seconds to produce,and i am using an assembly machine 1, which has a crafting speed of .5. I hover over the item that is being produced after clicking on the assembly machine and it would say it would take 15 seconds to build. Due to base being 10 and crafting speed of .5 so 10 /.5 = 20. If i was using an assembly machine 2 it would say 12.5.

The same idea would be applied when using speed module's percentage bonuses. I think this would give a more accurate picture of at what rate things are being produced without having to do the math.
Last edited by ssilk on Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: changed topic to fit subject better

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Factor in crafting speed/module bonuses into crafting time

Post by ssilk »

I do not like that, sorry.
It goes against automation: instead of building a second/third assembly (which would solve the problem) the player is bonused by not doing anything.

And it is the same game-principle that is used in apps to keep a player playing (and so have him watched as many advertises as possible). This principle is crap, cause a good game should never use cheap game-mechanics to keep a player playing.

Sorry for being so harsh. It's nothing with you it's only the idea itself that I fail to being objective with it. ;)
It reflects also only my current opinion. I'm always open for good arguments.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Blacksmoke16
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Blacksmoke16 »

ssilk wrote:I do not like that, sorry.
It goes against automation: instead of building a second/third assembly (which would solve the problem) the player is bonused by not doing anything.

And it is the same game-principle that is used in apps to keep a player playing (and so have him watched as many advertises as possible). This principle is crap, cause a good game should never use cheap game-mechanics to keep a player playing.

Sorry for being so harsh. It's nothing with you it's only the idea itself that I fail to being objective with it. ;)
It reflects also only my current opinion. I'm always open for good arguments.
But it would only be a visual change. The amount of assemblers required would remain unchanged.

The bonuses from modules/assemblers crafting speeds is already factored in but it always shows the default build time on items regardless of those bonuses.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Oh, I read that wrong. I thought the player bonuses the assembly, but you meant it vice versa.

Hm. There is still the problem that a player is bonused for doing nothing... :)

Edit: Or ... do you mean just displaying the current speed? If yes the topic was misleading. :) that's of course a good idea.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

roberwt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by roberwt »

I think it is a great idea to display what the ACTUAL time is for making a product. Diplaying it like:
Crafting time: 20s (x0.5)
or something sounds like a good idea.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

This would be an incredibly useful feature for dealing with production chains that utilise different types of buildings. For example when crafting cannon shells it can be difficult to compare the 1.25 crafting speed of a Chemical Plant to 0.75 of a T2 Assembler.

This is more insane when dealing with Bob's Mods and the like, in a single production chain I might have 3-4 different types of machinery, ALL of which have different crafting speeds. So to work out any ratios we have to first work out what speed each machine completes a product which is a whole bunch more numbers you have to keep in your head while trying to balance it all. It's a mess.

Ideally I would like a little GUI I can open on a machine that shows me stats on how fast it can complete a product, as well as how many products are produced per second and how many of each component is consumed per second.

I really wish I has more time to mod ._. this and a simple in-game calculator would just be awesome.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Blacksmoke16
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Blacksmoke16 »

Yeah sorry if it was confusing. It would just display the actual time it takes to craft something based on what building/modules/effects that building has. So if the base build time is 10 sec and the crafting speed is .5 then it would say 20 sec when you hover over it vs always saying the base time.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”