Crates not chests

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Johnman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Crates not chests

Post by Johnman »

This is a very simple suggestion, silly even, but it's something that I find strangely uncomfortable.
Whenever I see the words "wooden chest" I think of Minecraft and also of the medieval fantasy roots where that naming came from.

This, however, is a game about industrialization, and in our huge, polluting factory plants we don't use wooden chests, we use wooden crates. Right? Same goes for iron, steel, etc.

As I said, it's a bit silly, but it breaks immersion a little for me.

What do you think?

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Crates not chests

Post by Gammro »

crate
A slatted wooden case used for transporting goods:
chest
A large strong box, typically made of wood and used for storage or transport
(source:oxforddictionaries.com)

Right now, the chests are stationary and only a container to put stuff into and get it out when you need it. They are not used to transport goods in.
As a conclusion I'd say the use of the word chest is technically correct in how it's used in the game, and would prefer it to stay that way.
Ignore this

Johnman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Johnman »

Well, the definition of "chest" you pasted would fit both crates and chests. The only difference according to Oxford is that crates are exclusively used for transporting, which is not the case.

In any case I don't want to argue just for the sake of it, it's just that it feels very wrong to me to have chests in a warehouse and not crates. Am I the only one here?

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

Johnman wrote:Well, the definition of "chest" you pasted would fit both crates and chests. The only difference according to Oxford is that crates are exclusively used for transporting, which is not the case.

In any case I don't want to argue just for the sake of it, it's just that it feels very wrong to me to have chests in a warehouse and not crates. Am I the only one here?
The reason I gave those definitions, is because the implementation of what is called a chest ingame only fits the definition of a chest, and not that of a crate. Therefor, I don't think it should be called a crate.

Anyway, I'm not bothered by that it's called a chest in an industrial environment. But I guess word more fitting to the setting of the game would be "container".
Ignore this

Johnman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Johnman »

Wouldn't it be cool if chests could be moved around in conveyor belts?

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

I personally don't see any need for it. I build with enough capacity as it is, and plan ahead. Bulk goes by train.

There's also been a couple of threads about movable chests/crates on belts or otherwise before:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=317
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... p?f=6&t=67
Can't find the biggest topic on it however...
Ignore this

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”