PC Crashing (no BSOD)

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
sciencemile
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

PC Crashing (no BSOD)

Post by sciencemile »

Howdy, so here's the deal with this.

I didn't seem to have this problem with the first game I played; got up to producing oil and had a pretty complex base, tons of solar panels and electric furnaces and what-have-you. All the Settings for map Gen were at default, unlimited area as well.

Decided to start a second game, this time with Resources set at highest and richest, and Biters set at the opposite end.

It's a pretty basic base with just a small R/G Potion assembly line.

Link here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6ejsju3y5edk68/crash.zip

So a little bit into the game, all of a sudden my monitor stops displaying and the audio cuts out (so I can only assume it's a crash although there doesn't seem to be any change in the PC's Hum to indicate anything going wrong).

After restarting it a couple times, I check the task manager and figure with its memory usage - about 1000,000 K on my 2 Gigs of Ram - Perhaps I shouldn't be watching Blip Videos at the same time (although tbh I had been with the previous game with no problems, as well as having similarly large or larger simultaneous memory usages, albeit with multiple programs rather than a single one).

So tried that, but even with nothing else running (turned off skype, steam, any passive thing to get a couple more K), and on low graphics mode, and it's still been blackscreening me. I checked the config file as well to confirm low graphics actually was turned on, and the game was only using 500-600 K.

I'm not even sure it's exactly Factorio's Fault, but it only happens when I try playing Factorio; after a while it just blackscreens and I have to restart the computer.

Here are my Specs, not sure if this is enough info:

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GT 620
Memory: 2.1 GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: PC Crashing (no BSOD)

Post by Lee_newsum »

well i play your save game for a bit and it works fine, so your pc or game file and bad.

1) get a new zip pack (23/64 bit).
2) go to http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers/results/74448
3) hard drive have 10% free space left (c:\) Defragment Your Disk Drive (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848)

and/or come on TS3 lins in sig

sciencemile
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sciencemile »

Thanks for the advice, I'm a bit of a computer noob (I was tempted to replace "Hum" with "Machine Spirit")

1) What do you mean by this?

2) Ok I downloaded and installed this; My XP is 32-bit, I wouldn't know how to switch to 64, or if I need to, since the driver you linked is 64-bit.

EDIT: And looks like it couldn't continue for that reason.

EDIT EDIT: I used the link you gave to go backwards and get the 32-bit equivalent, however. Wondering if there's a way for me to upgrade my OS to 64 Bit, or if that's wise/possible.

3) Guess that wouldn't hurt as well. Gotta set aside some time to do so.

4) Sorry I don't have a mic atm :(

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+

"64" 64bit but
go to run and put in "dxdiag" look at "Operating System:" and see.
or cpmputer properties and look at "system type"

sciencemile
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sciencemile »

Yeah I guess my Processor is 64-bit, but my OS is the 32 Bit version (otherwise the Operating System would say "x64 Edition" according to the windows site:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... -or-64-bit
----

No idea why, I just bought it from a retail store in 2005 and the only item I've replaced is the graphics card and added a bit more memory.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (198.2 KiB) Viewed 3018 times

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

did the up days work?
and this may help http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download ... x?id=17431

sciencemile
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sciencemile »

Sorry I'm not the best at the technical, what do you mean by "up days"? Do you mean update? Is there another patch out? I haven't tried loading the game yet since the last crash, I'm going to clear a couple steam games off my PC because I don't want to wait for Defrag before I test.

(assuming the file you uploaded was meant to be the Promo Speech + Powerpoint Presentation of Windows 7)
And hah, yeah I should upgrade my OS...I just really like the translucence of XP compared to Base 7 with Text on the Start Button and minimized windows instead of just Icons. I'm sure that can be customized.

I'll post again once I have a confirmation; I'll call it problem fixed after an hour.

sciencemile
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sciencemile »

Ok so it seems like My computer hasn't crashed yet, so I'm calling this a resolved Issue :), attributing it to the updated drivers you provided a link to as well as emptying out my C Drive a bit.

As such, if I have the problem again once I get a bigger factory I'll just have to ditch some more junk and defrag. Eventually I'll need to get a new computer, my motherboard apparently can only accept 4 Sticks of 1GB Memory so I haven't got much more room to expand on the current one.

Thanks very much :)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

sciencemile wrote:And hah, yeah I should upgrade my OS...I just really like the translucence of XP compared to Base 7 with Text on the Start Button and minimized windows instead of just Icons. I'm sure that can be customized.
I had this aversion as well and managed to configure the windows 7 taskbar to look and act exactly like in winXP, including the quick-start shortcuts.

Anyway, I'm glad that the issue was resolved, I'm moving it to the resolved problems.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”