What's the point?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

What's the point?

Post by syneris »

First, this is an honest question and not some jab at the game. What's the purpose or goal in the game? I've played the demo and enjoyed what it had to offer, though I'm still wait for my key to see everything else available (hasn't been a full day yet). You design your factories and manage the flow of resources, which comes across as very fun. I know that research isn't in the demo, but it looks to just unlock more (improved) ways to do the same thing. What use is there for mass producing these items? What do you do once you have everything setup and working?

I know this is alpha, but what direction is the design headed? Is it going for a hybrid tower defense where you use your production lines to build and stock defenses?

Kadaban
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: What's the point?

Post by Kadaban »

I've felt the same thing with the alpha. But that's pretty much the same "problem" you're facing with every sandbox game: You make your own goals or get bored.
Right now there isn't much to do in the game mainly because it's still highly incomplete. I'm pretty sure there will be a full campaign and a good bunch of scenarios later on.

Gephorian
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gephorian »

Right now I'm concentrating on playtesting. Messing with different combinations of things, making sure everything works as intended. The story will come later, with the campaigns. Just give it time guys! Work in progress and all that!

Zemalf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zemalf »

I just enjoy frying my brain trying to get something strange done :) For me the point is to build a factory, tinker a nice system and then next time, improve on it. While I enjoyed the challenge in the demo/campaign, it's the sandbox that makes me tick.

The demo/campaign doesn't offer everything the sandbox/new game offers and when you get to the circuit logic and other advanced stuff, it becomes awesomely complicated (or well, as complicated as you want to make it).

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Factorio is sort of a sandbox game in the nature. However we always wanted there to be a pressure on the player "to do something". That is why we have the creepers (fight) and research in the first place. I can totally imagine there are a lot of people who just want to "play around" with their setups and solve little logistic riddles.

The goals in the campaign are obvious and we want to expand the campaign in the future.

The Freeplay mode has a goal as well. It is not mentioned in the beginning (yet) but the point of the game is to research and build rocket defense. There is a story motivation behind this. The player is preparing the planet for landing colonists from the Earth and the rocket defense is needed to protect the landing ships from potential alien attacks (that might have been what caused player's crash in the first place). We originally intended this to be similar to the single game of Civilization in nature (having multiple means of victory - defeating enough alien basis, building the rocket defense or maybe negotiating the peace with the aliens).

Apart from the Freeplay we would like to have a variety of custom scenarios. Those can have different setups and goals. These are written in Lua and can be created by the community as well. We really look forward to what the people will come up with.

Please note that the game is in relatively early stage of the development and things are far from finished. We are aware of this and working on this :)

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

I like sandbox games. I spent a good deal of time in the demo just standing on the conveyor belts and watching the production. You've done a great job with what I've seen, and I hope to delve into the more advanced stuff once I get my email. I was just wondering because the game is about production management, so there might be some tangible objective to that you aim to craft (such as the rocket defense).

One thing I just thought about, is there any thoughts on having an economy in the game? We could certainly sell our crafts (given it fits in the theme), but no idea what would we buy.

Xisuma
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xisuma »

Most game face the "whats the point" question. Whats the point of tetris? its the experience you get from it, this game is engaging, it gets you thinking and challenging yourself, at some point maybe the game will fail to do that once you have explored many possibilities but the point of the game is to have fun :D

Xisuma
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xisuma »

syneris wrote:One thing I just thought about, is there any thoughts on having an economy in the game? We could certainly sell our crafts (given it fits in the theme), but no idea what would we buy.
Nice idea there! imagine that on a server! building factories and trading goods :-) would be a great experience!

Ween
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ween »

slpwnd wrote: We originally intended this to be similar to the single game of Civilization in nature (having multiple means of victory - defeating enough alien basis, building the rocket defense or maybe negotiating the peace with the aliens).
I like the idea, especially if you need to develop your technologies in very specific ways to win in the different scenarios... This way I could redo the game so many times :p
---<@

Candunc
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Candunc »

Well, multiplayer would give it a point, you could build a factory specializing in advanced circuits and import copper and stuff from other people via trains for exchange for a currency maybe?

15Cyndaquil
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by 15Cyndaquil »

The thing I love about sandbox games and factorio is that there is no point. There is nothing you have to do, it is all up to you and your imagination. And that is just it with sandbox games the point is there is no point you just do.
The more complicated the game the better

Return to “General discussion”