Noob Blue Science Development

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
Nitt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Noob Blue Science Development

Post by Nitt »

Hi All,

I thought I would post this as a new player wanting to develop blue science.

As a newcomer to the game I had no problem researching & developing red and green science for research, however I found myself stuck at setting up effective blue science. After having researched all I could re: green/blue tech, I found myself in a bit of a quandary. There are a lot of designs available but many of them rely on the use of mods to make them efficient or already have some sort of blue science developed.

I ended up finding a design which I thought I could adapt here (kudos to the original author). My design assumes no mods and no blue science development previously. As such it has been tweaked to make it work with the game knowledge I have. For me it seems a long-term solution to science development. I'm sure it can be modified to be more efficient but for me it works:

Pic here

A few things to note:

- All belts are red (except some of the blue science feeders which are yellow). Inserters are blue. Red inserters speak for themselves. All stations are blue.
- No mods.
- Resources have been dragged from elsewhere (iron/copper plates, steel, coal, liquids). This has resulted in some very long belts/pipes.
- Purple science has been included for future upgrade (power outage symbol).
- No robotics/logistics.
- Upgradeable.
- Map: Peaceful, large, rich.
- The tangle of power poles is driving me nuts :(

It's not perfect - I am still having issues around petroleum production. A lot of flamethrower fuel and solid fuel from LO production are going into storage to maintain gas production. Aquiring cracking should take care of a lot of this.

I learned a lot from this exercise, the biggest being troubleshooting. It's easy to adjust a system to improve efficiency but to work out why something doesn't work is a different matter.

Hope it helps others. My next goal is to improve gas production through cracking. This is what is holding my efficiencies back atm.

Regards,

Nitt.
Regards,

Nitt.

Tell someone there are 100 billion stars in the sky & they will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet on a bench and they will touch to make sure.

Acarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Noob Blue Science Development

Post by Acarin »

Good effort, sir :-) However, it may save you some brain-strain to browse the forums and Reddit before jumping in (or when you think that you have a workable design), as there are a LOT of ideas out there! I can't find the thread that gave me my current refinery setup (it may actually have come from factorioblueprints.com), but the important thing to remember for Advanced Oil Processing is that you will want 4 Refineries, 7 Chem Plants cracking Light Oil to Gas and 1 plant cracking Heavy Oil to Light Oil. This results in the maximum bang for your buck, assuming that your interest is PG for sulfur and plastic production.

There are tileable versions of this ratio, which makes things eminently scaleable, including builds which incorporate beacons (so that you can put PM3 modules in the refineries and Chem plants, and SM3 modules in the beacons for supercharged throughput)

Good luck with your base building :-)

SamSam
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SamSam »

Acarin wrote: for Advanced Oil Processing is that you will want 4 Refineries, 7 Chem Plants cracking Light Oil to Gas and 1 plant cracking Heavy Oil to Light Oil.
Pretty sure it is 5 refineries, actually :)

Acarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Acarin »

I think there was a long series of threads about this, with people arguing math back and forth, and I think you may be correct... but not if you are using Productivity Modules. However, for the OP's purposes, it would probably be worth checking :-)

Nitt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nitt »

Thanks all for the encouragement.

Now that I have blue research I am in the process of upgrading my chemical plant, so I will certainly follow up on the correct ratios.

Putting this together was as much an exercise in understanding how the different manufacturing components work with each other and various methods on how to connect them while providing a long-term research setup. It was a great exercise and a good learning curve. The other part of it was the troubleshooting needed after connecting everything up and having nothing working.

So much more to learn and comprehend...
Regards,

Nitt.

Tell someone there are 100 billion stars in the sky & they will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet on a bench and they will touch to make sure.

Acarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Acarin »

Lol, welcome to the world of Factorio :-D

Here's a good link to get you started on designing refinery layouts, btw:

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... inery_for/

Good luck!

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”