[Factorio Headless on WIndows]

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
exi123
Inserter
Inserter

[Factorio Headless on WIndows]

Post by exi123 »

Hey All,

i've recently updated my homeservers Factorio-headless to version 14.10 and i'm running into trouble with that. Setting up the server was no problem, it starts up and it is reachable. When connecting over lan the downloadrate is fine but then: the catching up doesnt really work. The green bar runs down to zero and than the load quits with the message that i cant catch up with the server... Whats the problem with that? The savegame is quite big (130mb) and it takes a while to load it, but why cant my pc catch up with the server? i dont get it... tbh: the savegame runs on my pc with 35 fps/ups. it is really laggy but it worked slow but fine with version 13.20 :(

overall specs are:
homeserver is running on an i3 6100 with 16gb ram on win7x64
my pc is an i7 4771 with 16gb ram on win7x64

Hope someone can look into it and held me to get it running again... Thanks for helping! :roll:

exi123
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [Factorio Headless on WIndows]

Post by exi123 »

No idea on this one? I'm sorry for asking again, but i dont really get why this isnt working... :|

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Currently, client needs to be able to simulate the game faster than server to be able to catch up.
It is weird according to http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php ... 5B%5D=2027 i7 4771 outperforms i3 6100 in single threaded applications, so it is weird you cannot catch up.
If the game runs 35 UPS on you PC, try to set game speed to 0.5. In server console run command:

Code: Select all

/c game.speed = 0.5

exi123
Inserter
Inserter

Post by exi123 »

Thanks posila,

this has worked. I can now connect back to my server. But this is truly weird, i mean the i3 isnt really a bad cpu, but it seems that it is much faster on server mode than my i7 with all the graphics running. Is there anything maybe slowing down my i7 fps and ups?
My friend i am currently playing this map with runs factorio with an i7 4790 and he has the same problem...

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Rendering may cause the game run slower than in headless mode on the same PC, but in catching up phase rendering is skipped, so the client can catch up faster.
Does the server have DDR4 memory modules?

exi123
Inserter
Inserter

Post by exi123 »

Yes, the i3 runs with 16 gb ddr4 ram and my i7 with 16gb ddr3 ram...

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Hmm. That might explain why the server outperforms your PC (in Factorio)

exi123
Inserter
Inserter

Post by exi123 »

Is there an option to disable this feature serverside? So in this case it would make sense to me using the the old method to wait until all players have load the map... (we are only two players)

Return to “Technical Help”