Attack on Albert: Pressure gauges for the pipes

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MrFaul
Inserter
Inserter

Attack on Albert: Pressure gauges for the pipes

Post by MrFaul »

Actually this one is probably only hard on albert because it needs new Art and very little code (I boldly assume this).
Pressure gauges on the pipe for the circuit network, I really needed this in a recent build of mine and ended up misusing a tank and several pumps.
It would only be fair since the belts have such functionality already.

BTW you are making the pumps bigger... if you want to atone for that give me a 1x1 check valve controllable via the circuit network :-P
States should be open, closed, and directional :-D

This should add a shitload of new possibilities for liquid handling, in example shared pipes for different liquids in sequence.(My experiments failed to find a easy solution for that)
The strange German dude

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Attack on Albert: Pressure gauges for the pipes

Post by OdinYggd »

Pipe to circuit connection needs at least 2 modes.

1. "Pressure" aka how much fluid is actually in the pipe.

2. "Temperature" needs no explaining.

That way you could for instance, turn banks of boilers on and off based on the temperature at an engine inlet. Or start up additional water pumps if the refinery is using a lot more water than normal.

And yes, we really need a 1x1 valve. I've used the existing small pump as a valve far more often than as a pump, oftentimes in places where anything bigger than 1x1 will not fit. Like my power station, between the J manifold and the engine inlets. Every single one of my power stations now needs the manifold moved over 1 tile to make room for the 2x1 pump used to turn the engines off until the accumulators were sufficiently run down.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Would love to see steampunk valves, taps and gauges on the pipe network!
Images
Last edited by aubergine18 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

MrFaul
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MrFaul »

Well I'm conditioning my pipe network to be always full pressure with reserves out of the tanks and my current method is not very sustainable one pump in-> two pumps out.
That method wastes energy and maybe even resources (haven't tested that yet).
I know usually you go refinery -> pump -> tanks -> pump -> rest of the setup to keep up the pressure but I'm not "usually" :-D
The strange German dude

afk2minute
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by afk2minute »

MrFaul wrote:Actually this one is probably only hard on albert because it needs new Art and very little code (I boldly assume this).
Pressure gauges on the pipe for the circuit network, I really needed this in a recent build of mine and ended up misusing a tank and several pumps.
It would only be fair since the belts have such functionality already.

BTW you are making the pumps bigger... if you want to atone for that give me a 1x1 check valve controllable via the circuit network :-P
States should be open, closed, and directional :-D

This should add a shitload of new possibilities for liquid handling, in example shared pipes for different liquids in sequence.(My experiments failed to find a easy solution for that)
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Flow%20Control
Something like this?

MrFaul
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MrFaul »

Indeed, this mod adds everything to solve my problems.
But I'm not quite satisfied with it.

I don't like the idea of adding nine new items when one configurable item is sufficient.

Solving the "connection" mess by adding each piece as standalone isn't good practice.
Another solution to that would be drag method while you are building the pipes.
The strange German dude

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”