Low game performance?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
MPeti1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Low game performance?

Post by MPeti1 »

Hi!
I just played again in my old save with 0.12.35, and noticed that this version had much better performance. 50-65 UPS, 26 FPS without any lag spike. The save what i have in latest 0.13 sometimes has only about 6 UPS, why? What changed that was a lot more performance hungry than the previous version?
Note: both of my saves are modded, the 0.12.35 has 67 mods, the 0.13 has 93
Note 2: About 2 days ago my version 0.13 save started to have a massive lag, with about 3-8 UPS. I just discovered a new area and built some outposts with enhaced radar and enhanced roboport, but i think it can't cause that massive lag. If someone need, i can upload the mods folder and the save to Onderive if want to check it

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Low game performance?

Post by bobucles »

There's not much that can be done if you modded your game to hell and back. Mod incompatibility can definitely throw piles of errors that won't crash the game, but will definitely lag it down.

Try opening the frame update timing window (F4?). It'll help show where those CPU cycles are going.

Obviously you can try shutting down a few mods at a time and see if that fixes things.

bk5115545
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bk5115545 »

If you post a screenshot of the F4 window someone might be able to help you.

MPeti1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MPeti1 »

bk5115545 wrote:If you post a screenshot of the F4 window someone might be able to help you.
I tried to look at that F4 screen, but there is too much information, and it's does not fit into the screen, so not all of the information was shown ... :/
If you have a bigger screen (i have a Samsunk SyncMaster 753 dfx, game window resolution is 1280x1024), i can upload the map and the mods folder to onedrive, to take a look on it. Or if you know how to view the full list, it's enough to say how can i do it.

An other thing: Some days ago I removed all enemies from my map with a console command, and now i have 30-40 UPS, but i still waiting for comments that can help.

Anyway i post the F4 screen to here, but on the visible strings i think it's nothing what is too high, and some hw config info.
CPU (APU, i don't have a VGA): AMD A6 6400K+ (4,4 GHz, OC from 3,9), RAM: 8 GB (1GB routed to be vram)
20160831233124_1.jpg
20160831233124_1.jpg (642.23 KiB) Viewed 8620 times

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Quite a bit of information is missing due to amount of mods.
Please find the config.ini file and change

Code: Select all

debug_font_size
in it to something smaller and do the screenshot again.

At first glance there is one strange thing about this - quite a few entries have last number very large - if I recall correctly thats the max recorded value.

MPeti1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MPeti1 »

Screenshot with smaller debug menu
Attachments
images.akamai.steamusercontent.com.jpg
images.akamai.steamusercontent.com.jpg (590.86 KiB) Viewed 8555 times

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Nice picture for ants.

Reading the chart is simple. Larger numbers mean more lag. Find the big number mods and kill them.

MPeti1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MPeti1 »

There is no mod above 0.500
Strings that have high values:
-Last save (44289) (I think it's just the time of the save process, so it does not affect other values)
-Frame cycle (132)
-Wait for update (16-17)
-Game render preparation (2-3)
-Render (10-11)
-Game render (4,6)
-GUI render (6)
-Sleep (88)
-Update (17)
-Game update (15)
-entity update (11)

Sleep costs the most time in a frame cycle, which is i think entities which is not working (sleeping,like a factory that is stopped because filled by products or have insufficient resources), right? It's ok to a save gets laggy when you have too much entities in it, but...

...cpu usage is only 67%, but Firefox is working (and Factorio)
...ram is only filled by 61% (8.0 GB DDR3, 1 GB routed to video ram, i use an APU so it's needed. if i said this before, sorry, i forget it)
...disk usage 0-3%
...gpu usage 5-7% (Only engine 3 working, with 11%)
...vram is only filled by 71%

and Factorio can't go above 41 UPS. It's why? May the motherboard is slow, or what? Or i need to allow more threads than 2 to run Factorio? But my apu only have 2 cores, which is in reality 1 core, 2 logical processor.
What's going on here?

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

...cpu usage is only 67%, but Firefox is working (and Factorio)
Don't trust windows task manager when it comes to CPU usage. It displays it in the worst possible way, leading to millions of posts across the internet wondering why "50%" use doesn't mean their CPU is actually maxed out..

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

What is your processor btw? APUs don't tend to perform so well in high-demand games and when you've got a thousand entities moving on the screen Factorio can certainly get pretty graphics intensive. It's completely unplayable with any settings on my 512MB quad card, I get about 1-2 FPS, even the 1.5GB graphics card in my laptop struggles in some areas.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Everything in there seems quite slow - was it really much better on 0.12.35?

Rendering is quite bad - 13+9 total and 3 preparation which reduces the fps.
Entity processing is also around 18 ms so fps/ups starts to drop.

It seems you have quite big factory and if you see such big performance drop it could be good to get similar screenshot in same area from 0.12.35.
You could try reducing graphics quality to see if GPU part is not overloaded by amount of rendering.

(can also add undecorator mod to remove all doodads - might help tiny bit by reducing amount of entities)

MPeti1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MPeti1 »

yes i known about the bug of the task manager, just forget it.
i have an AMD A6 6400K+ APU. i can' try this map in 0.12.35, because it's a heavily modded map. anyway, in 12.35 i had only ~60 mods (now i have ~90), but this version runs better. but...in 12.35 i don't built as big factory yet as in 0.13.20
I had alredy reduced sprites to low, because in normal the game filled the vram

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

You can't directly say "0.12 was faster than 0.13" because you've got WAY more mods loaded. Only way to test that is to load a vanilla map.

There was some optimisation in 0.13 I think but it shouldn't have a dramatic effect, it's more likely either it's not coping with the additional mods or one or more of your existing mods that was updated is now less efficient. Likely a combination of factors.

Additionally that processor has only a single physical core and isn't all that powerful, on which you're not only trying to run all the complex logic of the game but also render it. I'm not surprised it's struggling. Might be able to run vanilla but I wouldn't be making any megafactories or anything.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

MPeti1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MPeti1 »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:You can't directly say "0.12 was faster than 0.13" because you've got WAY more mods loaded. Only way to test that is to load a vanilla map.

There was some optimisation in 0.13 I think but it shouldn't have a dramatic effect, it's more likely either it's not coping with the additional mods or one or more of your existing mods that was updated is now less efficient. Likely a combination of factors.

Additionally that processor has only a single physical core and isn't all that powerful, on which you're not only trying to run all the complex logic of the game but also render it. I'm not surprised it's struggling. Might be able to run vanilla but I wouldn't be making any megafactories or anything.
I know i can't say 0.12 is faster than 0.13, i just said this version is faster (for me, with less mods and a smaller factory. and with smaller generated terrain what is needs to be updated in every update cyrcles. Otherwise i can speed up time in 0.12, but as you said (and as i known it before) some of the mod makers (who's mods are used in my save) may just want to update their mods as fast as they can, so it can have optimisation problems, or just the +30 mod is enough to get a game laggy like this. And the other things i said in the brackets.
Yes, this processor is not too powerful, but i can't replace it with an other as long as i don't have a vga :/

Return to “General discussion”