How to play bobs mods without going mad?

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

terror_gnom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

How to play bobs mods without going mad?

Post by terror_gnom »

Holy shit, I started my first game with bobs mods and I´m already at a loss^^ How can you get that incredible amount of resources under control without total spaghetti? I LIKE IT :D

Aonova
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: How to play bobs mods without going mad?

Post by Aonova »

Try adding Angels Mods (Refining or Processing) on top of it ;) . You'll understand the true meaning of madness and spaghetti.

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

just wait until you play with bob's and angel's mods
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Well I'm playing Bobs + Angels (Refining + Processing) with no main bus (pure spaghetti) and no logistic network. I just call that factory "Descent into Madness".

Though the main tip I would have is to leave plenty of space between everything (play on a map with lots of open space to build in) and use loads of long-handed inserters so you can space machines further apart, leaving room for more belts.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Don't forget to put yuoki. and uranium power in.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

pieppiep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pieppiep »

And add hardcrafting!
Would be really nice if hardcrafting also changed all ores from bobs :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Well, in my opinion, if you want to ease your way into my mods, I suggest you start out without the electronics mod. That in combination with MCI really slows down the starting end of the game, because Electronics require you to set up a processing system of about 6 different resources, some requiring red technology.

I mean... I've only personally done it myself twice, since I wrote the original versions in 0.10. Most of what I actually do in game is just make sure everything works together in an already established world. That's right, I spend far more time modding the game than playing it, so my enjoyment of the game is mostly hearing how much you guys like my mods :lol:
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

bobingabout wrote:so my enjoyment of the game is mostly hearing how much you guys like my mods :lol:
Then I will say it again I can't play without bobs mods!

I think it took me about 30+ hours on my first play to finally figure out everything using bobs electronics on top of everything else.

WoodyDaOcas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by WoodyDaOcas »

Same here :)
Thank you very much for your hard work, I do this for a living so I can really appreciate what are you doing, so that others can enjoy Factorio more. And trust me, it's working :)

kassit
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kassit »

bob's + angel's + marathon makes a lot of challenge.

needed aluminium for science 3. the actual aluminium processing plant uses far more space than the part of factory that actually needs it. same goes for zinc. i'm almost 4 days in my marathon playthrough and have not still yet got blue science going. and it bugs the hell out of me since most of the fun stuff roadblocking me is behind blue science. so i'm in a dilemma constantly of wanting to go forward to get blue science and finding the motivation to do so.

And just wanted to chime in my 2 cents for bob for this awesome pack of mods. after 1st time using it i haven't been able to go back to vanilla since i enjoy the challenge your mods present so much.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

My playthrough basically involved a hacky spaghetti setup for the first two tiers of circuits, checked t3 and realised this just wasn't feasible how I was doing it. Using my hacky setup as reference, set up an offsite circuit production and converted to a modular base setup connected with trains.

This has pros and cons. First of all it's really tedious to get going, you need to get to trains which is a bit of a pain and laying rails without bots is just ugh. Once you've got a bit of a rail network going (usually chasing down ores) and some bots, probably in the car, it becomes much easier to build new outposts. To me it feels like I'm progressing very slowly because I decide to set up ore processing and start mining and processing every type of ore I can rather than what I need, but I don't have much to compare it to so not sure if it is actually slow or not.

Things start getting easier somewhat quickly. You can make whatever hacky setup you want, if you need to improve it you can either tear it down and start again, or if it needs to stay running you can go build another, more efficient design somewhere else, rename the train stops and THEN tear the old one down. Because everything's so spaced out you can expand a module basically as much as needed without it interfering with anything else, which is fantastic when you don't know what quantities of everything you'll need later on.

Then there's the fun of micromanaging trains, with so many running around it's worth deciding if you want requester trains (one train gathering all materials for an outpost) or supplier trains (one train supplying materials from an outpost) and utilising circuits so they only run when needed.

If you like trains and are getting stumped with traditional base designs because of all the curveballs, I'd recommend this.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Ackos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ackos »

After you conquer the madness, you will never go vanilla again.

Return to “Bob's mods”